HybridZ

'73 240z lq4 swap NEED HELP

I am savign up to get an engine to drop in my 73 240z. At first i wanted an ls1 to drop in, but i am now leaning toward getting an lq4. that being siad, does anyone have experice with this swap, knowledge about crucial elements i will need to know. first question being how hard is it to swap an ls6 intake onto the lq4. SHould i consider getting a Fast intake instead of an ls6 intake? will the fast intake fit under a stock hood? if so, what size do i need to get.

also what other stuff is intailed in the swap?i hve been doing researh and have bits and pieces of informaton, but am still a little confused on the whole swap

i am planning on pairing this with a t56 tranny.

any info will help. please... i need help

You need to do ALOT more reading. The very first post in this section teaches you how to basically do the install. Thatsaid the short answer to your question is yes the ls6 intake will fit on the LQ4 block and yes any FAST CAR intake manifold will fit on your car and under the hood. Most all parts are interchangeable in the LS world you just need to make sure you keep parts compatible between cathedral port heads and rectangle (research the two)

Bst way to do it if you ask me is find a good LQ4 long block, install the LS1 accessories (oil pan, fuel rails, injectors, wterpump, alternator yada yada and drop it in.

How ironic that your name has "spoon" in it.

The first thing you will learn at HybridZ is no one will spoon feed you information. If you are not prepared to search for your answers, you will have a very short stay here. Everything has been discussed here, especially when it comes to a SBC or LSx swap into a S30. Not trying to be a d*ck but before you get bashed, I figured I'd let you know.

well that is a shame that the hybrid z community will not "feed" information. because i have been looking around and cannot find adequite information on what i am trying to do, so i NEED to be fed information. If you could post links showing me the forums then i would be greatly in your debt, which is the reason i created this topic.

I am trying to decide if swapping an ls1 would be easier and less trouble to drop in the 240z than an LQ4. information i have come across states that for upwards of 650HP, it is smarter to go the iron block route. However i have always loved an aluminum ls1. and from my own research it appears to swap easier in a Z than an lq4.

again ANY information would help. information, not judgement, thanks

LS1Tech.com will provide you with everything you need to know about the LS engine/tranny ! You need to research axles, diff, and adapter's ! With that much power you're bound to break stuff. Are you planning spray/squeeze/juice or turbo/SC ? If so then, I recommend the iron block !

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your question I wiuld recomend going on ebay and buying a generic stand alone harness. A guy n Kentucky sells one for $450 that looks and works great and is idiot proof. If u have any questions feel free to text or call me at the above number

Really, please put forth some effort and search not just Hybridz but also LS1tech.  I did the swap around 2.5 years ago and researched what I needed to do for a solid month.  All of your questions, necessary wiring diagrams, pin outs, etc. are answered here and on LS1tech.  As a matter of fact, LS1tech has a Swap forum dedicated to swapping LSx's into other chassis.

To answer some basic questions:

1)  If you have a LS1 with a 4L60E, you will need a PCM and harness from an automatic.

2)  A 1998 PCM is different than a 1999+ PCM.  I recommend a 1999+ PCM with the corresponding harness.  A 1998 harness will not work with a 1999+ PCM, but a 1999+ harness will work with an 1999+ PCM (I believe).

3)  You do not need a PSI harness.  The stock harness is fine, but you WILL have to figure out which wires from which connectors you need to hook-up.  There's a total of around 8 to 10 wires that you need to hook up.....that's it.  Most of them are power (pink - ignition hot) with 1 or 2 constant hot (orange), plus the torque converter lock-up which needs to be connected to the brake switch, fuel pump relay (pulls to power and not ground), etc.

I am done.  Research and then ask questions based on your findings.

U can certainly use the factory harness it just depends how nice and clean u want your engine bay. I've done it both ways and its just cleaner with an affordable aftermarket harness period. Ill look and post a link to the one I've been using for reference