HybridZ

Taka Time! Project bolt-on

Back on track.... after about 1.5month hiatus. Damn vacations! lol

Installed wolfcreek CV axles

20150225_110248_zpsmp9nyfre.jpg

DSC_0017_1430508416389_zps6c6atrm7.jpg

Bled the brakes with my motive bleeder! Awsome tool. And I'm happy to report that no fluid leaks from the brake system.. so far

DSC_0008_zpsbd5kl03s.jpg

And the past week, I spent the entire time rewiring the car. Since I am going fuel injection, I integrated the existing harness with the new. At the same time, I painstakingly removed all unnecessary wiring (stupid interlock crap!).

DSC_0009_zps3a6zcsog.jpg

Upgraded fusible links with Maxi fuse. Then, relocated fuses to underneath the battery

DSC_0024_zps5lqtkefb.jpg

I shaved the antenna so I got this cheap Ebay hidden antenna. It works quite well actually!

DSC_0018_1430508418293_zpsfiilvvki.jpg

Brand new reproduction washer fluid tank

20150208_124715_zpsmtzzniqc.jpg

DSC_0022_zps3gndi0nd.jpg

Then I splurged with this. Truck lite 7" LED headlamps. AWSOME product. I previously had Dapper HID light kit, but I wasn't very happy with all the ballast and components it had. Too much parts. With this light, it just plugs straight into the socket. But you need to modify the wiring harness to make the light work properly. Apparently s30's light wiring is not the same as modern day wiring. The best thing about these lights is that it draws MAX 3.6amps per headlight. Very easy on your electrical system. I think at low beams it draws only 1.8amps per headlight.

DSC_0010_zps9zflnwm5.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsaa8vnjyq.jpg

DSC_0019_zpsea4futgv.jpg

sticks out a little bit more than a stock headlight but not too bad.

DSC_0020_zpsbntquuqy.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsb0dqgzlj.jpg

I took some terrible pictures to compare the light patten. Obviously better than stock.

Low beam

DSC_0017_zps74ug6nov.jpg

High beam

DSC_0018_zps4gcpor6b.jpg

I integrated a 5 pole relay to the engine harness to make the light work properly. This was the hardest part. Since there were no writeups, I had to figure it out myself. The other loose wires are for my electric fans, which I will finish once the radiator is in the car.

DSC_0023_zpsowxpqbsm.jpg

I'm very happy that I didn't set off any electrical fires on the car. As matter of fact, everything works on the car! There were things that did't before.

Edited by takayuki

• 3 weeks later...

Prepped engine for install.

Had this beauty, Kameari 45mm headers ceramic coated... such a shame. No choice because the clearance from the intake manifold to the header is next to nil. 

DSC_0025_zpstxljccxo.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsbf1y9vsz.jpg

forgot to post this, I had a ron tyler diff mount, but opted for the SW motorsport front diff mount.

DSC_0023_zpsf5a4wtva.jpg

Installed flywheel and clutch

DSC_0021_zpsvchdjyqk.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsdqgkqpfj.jpg

I was going to install the engine and the transmission together, but with no help available at the time, I decided to do the install by myself.

DSC_0024_zpsurfftwer.jpg

DSC_0026_zpszyvdo8pv.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsiguz6htf.jpg

Installed intake and exhaust manifolds. Also, installed 3 row aluminum rad and fan package from MSA. Mishimoto Rad hoses used.

DSC_0032_zpswyiewlcx.jpg

I can officially say, my steering shaft mod worked! Clears engine and exhaust manifolds! 

• 3 weeks later...

^ thanks guys! 

onto some more updates, 

Installed stock driveshaft for now. Will upgrade later...funds are starting to dry up!  However, I used some Kameari chromoly drive shaft bolts.

DSC_0028_zpsrckblzsi.jpg

Hooked up coolant hoses, ran fuel lines, made up spark plug wires. I still need to tidy up a few things..

DSC_0039_zpsuxyvwkti.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsv7dgkwem.jpg

Installed Kameari headers. Boy.... this header is nice and big, but it's causing a lot of fitment issues with other components.  Installed Jenvy ITB's on TWM intake manifold.

DSC_0032_zpswyiewlcx.jpg

Engine with air horns and heat shield. I really wanted to install an ITG 1 piece air filter element, but the headers won't allow it.... dammit.. Air filter socks on order.. Don't worry, valve cover will be replaced with a nicer one once I get everything sorted out.

DSC_0059_zpsehgvpera.jpg

AND.... she's up and running for the first time in 4 years! video to come. Huge sigh of relief!

DSC_0055_zps5fnzys5a.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsapaomq9i.jpg

DSC_0054_zps0qqacisz.jpg

My truck really dwarfs the car.... holy moly

DSC_0057_zpsuaplzmgd.jpg

and it was all warm and fuzzy until I discovered a crack in my what used to be a crack free dash!!! I left the car out in the hot sun for 2 hours while I cleaned out the garage.... Ughhhhhhh!  Gonna get a dash carpet for now... deal with that later.

Edited by takayuki

• 3 weeks later...

Looks mean! And I really love that color. Great choice.

Thanks!

Little update.

I had my Kameari full exhaust mounted and installed.  For some reason, the exhaust was 1" too long, had to have a local shop shop and modify the rear section to make it fit.  I ended up doing the supra style angled look.

DSC_0068_zpsq5cjtnmq.jpg

DSC_0067_zpsnmy35gzc.jpg

A short video of my exhaust and engine sounds. Didn't want to rev it up too much because engine was still cold.

https://youtu.be/cX8HypgviK0

Edited by takayuki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

I have driven the car for just a bit. Seems to handle quite nice, but I haven't pushed the car too hard yet. The steering isn't as heavy as I thought it might be with 245's up front. My observations aren't very accurate, it's been quite a while since I've driven a modified z.  It handles a lot better than a stock 260z! that's for sure.

hmmm... good tip. Is this more prone for carburated engines? My engine is fuel injected and already tuned..... However I do carry a fire extinguisher in the car with me just in case.    It's pretty dusty here where I live.....because our roads are so dirty and there's construction going on everywhere during the summer... Hard to run a engine without filters.

• 1 month later...

Very clean build. Great attention to detail!

If it's one thing I learned from your build is that leave the car primed (except for the underside, inside and engine bay) until you assemble the suspension and drive-terrain to avoid scratching the final finish. ;)

BTW How's that Scorpion lining holding up? Is it rubberized in texture or pretty solid? I'm looking for something similar to apply to the underside of my car once it's all prepped and ready.

Edited by V-Fib

Can't wait to see this car on the road next spring!

can't wait either! If the weather holds up maybe I'll have a few days to enjoy before winter.

Very clean build. Great attention to detail!

If it's one thing I learned from your build is that leave the car primed (except for the underside, inside and engine bay) until you assemble the suspension and drive-terrain to avoid scratching the final finish. ;)

BTW How's that Scorpion lining holding up? Is it rubberized in texture or pretty solid? I'm looking for something similar to apply to the underside of my car once it's all prepped and ready.

Thanks! Yes. If I were to do this project over, I would do pre-fit and fabricate everything before doing any sort of final body work. Eventhough it may take longer. It was definitely stressfull putting the car back together.

The scorpion lining is pretty solid. Not very rubbery. I can't comment on how well its holding up just yet, but my bodyshop swears by this stuff.  He told me I won't have to worry about rust wherever this stuff is applied.

Update:

Car went back to the bodyshop the other day for final paint touchups (my mistakes) and final wetsand and polish. rock guard is also being applied to areas where its vulnerable. Pics to follow.

• 3 weeks later...