HybridZ

Curious - Why can't we run more strut options?

Just curious, suspension is not something I know a whole lot about.   But what is the limiting factor in the struts we are able to use--especially with coilovers?

What would need to be modified to allow a broader use?  (front and rear)

Edited by tyson

Most of your suspension hardware would have to change. Look at your strut tube diameter, length, and gland nut fittings, your suspension height, and then look at your wallet.

Anything can change if you've got the cash.

Most of your suspension hardware would have to change. Look at your strut tube diameter, length, and gland nut fittings, your suspension height, and then look at your wallet.

Anything can change if you've got the cash.

As far as the strut diameter, wouldn't you just have to cut the tube off and weld a larger or smaller one on?   I completely understand the "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" and similar phrases, but I really want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes for just giving some more options than what we currently have.  I'm not talking full race externally whatevered, servo controlled suspension or anything.   Just what would it take to use as an example 240sx strut tubes in a S30 already running coilovers.

Edited by tyson

What do you mean by "giving more options?"  You're can go out and source whatever shock you want and with proper fabrication you can adaprt that shock to the stock strut tubes or fabricate new struts tubes.  I was able to (actually paid a Penske distributor) adapt Penske 8760 triple adjsutable shocks to my racing S30.  You can do the same with Ohlins, Moton, etc.

If you're asking a vendor to develop more options - show them the money.  In my experience, very few Datsun guys will spnd more the $1,000 on shock and struts for their cars and I've problably sold to 75% of that market in the last 12 years.

Options are for people with money to spend. If you "think" theres no options, clearly it's because you can't afford it.

If you knew that than why ask? Better yet why play with this old car and stick to the S chasis or just do your own calculations and figure it out if you can't afford it.

What do you mean by "giving more options?"  You're can go out and source whatever shock you want and with proper fabrication you can adaprt that shock to the stock strut tubes or fabricate new struts tubes.  I was able to (actually paid a Penske distributor) adapt Penske 8760 triple adjsutable shocks to my racing S30.  You can do the same with Ohlins, Moton, etc.

If you're asking a vendor to develop more options - show them the money.  In my experience, very few Datsun guys will spnd more the $1,000 on shock and struts for their cars and I've problably sold to 75% of that market in the last 12 years.

Nah, not asking a vendor to develop anything as I know our market is very, very limited.  I think it was you who said most Z owners are a missed paycheck away from having to sell their car--which I think is quite accurate.

Just wondering what it takes to make something common work on our cars?   As I said, I don't know much of anything about suspension.  Is it a matter of our inserts being larger/smaller diameter than most?  longer?  different shape?  Do most other cars not use an insert? (I know I've seen the ones where the perch is actually part of the strut itself).

Options are for people with money to spend. If you "think" theres no options, clearly it's because you can't afford it.

If you knew that than why ask? Better yet why play with this old car and stick to the S chasis or just do your own calculations and figure it out if you can't afford it.

*sigh*, seriously lostfairlady, why the extremely condescending reply?  I'm not going to get into a contest of bank accounts, but I can assure you that I'm fully capable of purchasing whatever upgrades I want for the car without resorting to loans or credit.  I own a S30 not because it's all I could afford, but because I've always loved the cars.  If I would have wanted a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche I would have gone out and bought one instead.

All I'm asking is what is the limiting factor in performance aftermarket strut tubes being fairly uncommon?  Is having access to a wider selection just a matter of resizing the suspension tube or is it much more involved than that?

Edited by tyson

Most cars moved away from inserts in the early 1990s.  Its cheaper for the OEMs to make it all one unit (shocka nd strut) that bolts to the hubs.  The main issue with the S30 is that the strut and hubs are all one unit.  An aftermarket manufacturer would need a large and steady supply of cores to make something reasonably priced for our market.  They just can't make them from scratch without having to charge $1,000 or more per corner.

On the insert side you have Koni, Bilstien, KYB, and Tokico (maybe).   That's actually a good selection and will meet the needs 99.9% of the owners of the cars.  Camber plates, threaded collars, adjustable lower spring perches, upper spring perches, and springs are all readily avaialbe.  You or someone you pay just has to put the package together on your car.

Most cars moved away from inserts in the early 1990s.  Its cheaper for the OEMs to make it all one unit (shocka nd strut) that bolts to the hubs.  The main issue with the S30 is that the strut and hubs are all one unit.  An aftermarket manufacturer would need a large and steady supply of cores to make something reasonably priced for our market.  They just can't make them from scratch without having to charge $1,000 or more per corner.

On the insert side you have Koni, Bilstien, KYB, and Tokico (maybe).   That's actually a good selection and will meet the needs 99.9% of the owners of the cars.  Camber plates, threaded collars, adjustable lower spring perches, upper spring perches, and springs are all readily avaialbe.  You or someone you pay just has to put the package together on your car.

Ahh, this is what I didn't know.  The only cars I had ever done suspension on were my 86 toyota and Zs so I figured inserts were the norm.   Thank you John.