HybridZ

motor mount kit for 5.3 ls1 (or who else to use other then JC)

I think  you will like working with those standard Chevy mounts.  The JCI kit uses one of those and you can get to the bolts easily to loosen them up.  The JCI kit uses an LS1 "clamshell" mount on the drivers side.  I hate it.  It is hard to get to the bolts to loosen in order to get a little slop in it when dropping the tranny or if just trying to get the bolts lined up.  I like that Hawk's tranny mount better too.  But, with it being weld in, you wanna get that crossmember in the right place on the first time!  I would definitely only spot weld it until you have installed and  pulled the engine a few times to be sure it is right before  you weld it up solidly.  And the clearance bend in the motor mount looks terrible in that photo-it probably looks better from a different angle.  Pros and cons to everything.  We are all super anxious to see how it goes, espcially with the headers.

I think  you will like working with those standard Chevy mounts.  The JCI kit uses one of those and you can get to the bolts easily to loosen them up.  The JCI kit uses an LS1 "clamshell" mount on the drivers side.  I hate it.  It is hard to get to the bolts to loosen in order to get a little slop in it when dropping the tranny or if just trying to get the bolts lined up.  I like that Hawk's tranny mount better too.  But, with it being weld in, you wanna get that crossmember in the right place on the first time!  I would definitely only spot weld it until you have installed and  pulled the engine a few times to be sure it is right before  you weld it up solidly.  And the clearance bend in the motor mount looks terrible in that photo-it probably looks better from a different angle.  Pros and cons to everything.  We are all super anxious to see how it goes, espcially with the headers.

Here are some better picks of the clearance part of the mount I will say that  it feels super strong the bent part feels to be solid rod stock. IT does look better in person. ONLY BAD NEWS. No headers :( this will be twins :)

20140319_154013.jpg

20140319_154044.jpg

20140319_154059.jpg

I do wish bruce would do a full write up on using this mount but I will do my best to document the install. For future users 

Edited by geno51

Or you could weld plates on the ends of the trans mount and make it bolt it. I'm not sure if it matters if it bolts in 2 places. I think a combination mount between the 2 would be better than either. Weld that into a single piece to where it unbolts from the frame rails all in 1 piece.

That trans crossmember is a little more work but will be well worth it especially in a turbo application where tying the rails together is critical. Much better than bolting to the floor since a kot of the S30 cars r rusty

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to start using these mounts for my new turbo setup http://randyellisdesign.com/?wpsc-product=110-diy-caged-bushing-tubular-race-motor-mount-kit-duplicate-2. I've already re-enforced my frame rails with box steel so the welding need for these is no big deal. You can also put solid or poly mounts in this as well.

I was happy with the JCI mounts I have been using for the last 5+ years. The header issues that came with the JCI mounts was a bit of a headache (Shorties on a 800+hp LS engine are no bueno), but it worked for what I needed.

• 2 months later...