HybridZ

Just verifying some things, 4 to 5 speed swap 280z

Hey guys, my Z is a 4 speed and I bought a 5 speed from a friend (same friend I bought the car from he had plans to swap it in). I've searched and researched and sounds like the 5 speed will just fit right in with the clutch flywheel and driveshaft for a 4 speed. I just wanted to verify if the 4 speed shifter, trans mount, and slave cylinder will all work with the 5 speed also? I can't remember if my 5 speed came with a mount but I know it is missing the shifter. The car is a 76 280Z, if that makes a difference. Not sure which Z the 5 speed came out of, but definitely not the turbo ZX.  Also, I haven't had a reason to really slide under the Z yet, does the Z use an external slave cylinder that pushes a throwout bearing fork, or does it use a hydraulic throwout bearing? Can I just unbolt this slave cylinder without disconnecting the line and bolt it back up to the 5 speed? I've never bled a clutch before and would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks guys!

One thing that might cause a bind is not lifting the car high enough to slide the transmissions out/in.  Plan ahead. 

Forgot to mention, I have a buddy who just built a brand new garage, and guess what he put in it? Thats right, A LIFT! Whoooo nice to have friends. This is the same friend who I bought the Datsun from and the trans from. 

Edited by yamahondarider

Yeah, Should bolt right up,  The 280z 4 speeds and 5 speeds both bolt to the same block, and use the same clutch. If you have a 2+2 then things are a little different, but should all line up fine. The 2+2 clutch is slightly larger.  Your driveshaft should be the same, though while it's out you may want to replace the oil seal where the slip joint plugs in. Also if your driveshaft has a different connection point where it slides into the tranny, you'll want to clean it up really well so you know you'll have a good seal.   all 280Z trannies used a slave cylinder/fork, rather than an internal concentric clutch like the 350Z has.

Hey guys, my Z is a 4 speed and I bought a 5 speed from a friend (same friend I bought the car from he had plans to swap it in). I've searched and researched and sounds like the 5 speed will just fit right in with the clutch flywheel and driveshaft for a 4 speed. I just wanted to verify if the 4 speed shifter, trans mount, and slave cylinder will all work with the 5 speed also? I can't remember if my 5 speed came with a mount but I know it is missing the shifter. The car is a 76 280Z, if that makes a difference. Not sure which Z the 5 speed came out of, but definitely not the turbo ZX.  Also, I haven't had a reason to really slide under the Z yet, does the Z use an external slave cylinder that pushes a throwout bearing fork, or does it use a hydraulic throwout bearing? Can I just unbolt this slave cylinder without disconnecting the line and bolt it back up to the 5 speed? I've never bled a clutch before and would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks guys!

Depending on the width of the shifter fork you may have to use the 5speed shifter, thats what i had to do from my early 4speed to 5speed standard and I had to cut, bend and weld the shifter to be able to keep the shifter boot. Also you can just unbolt the slave without having to open and bleed it.