HybridZ

Star Road Fairlady 360hp L28 :O

miky360

Blaaa, blaa, bla...forget about streetable, it's not making 360hp from what I saw...you believe that and I have a bridge to sell you.  And I'm from NY, so know I'm good for it! 

Blaaa, blaa, bla.... Who's to say any of us know WHAT it makes? Sound on a youtube video is hardly conclusive for anything. It certainly "looks" like it's closer to truth than that turbo nitrous "fast L engine in the world" S130 that's been talked about lately.

Also, I bet that engine WAS warmed before this video. And look at the idle... 1,000-1,100...DESPITE being injected... It "sounds" docile but if it's idling that high there's a reason for it, and Tony's experience seems to validate the requirement for it.

Now... let's talk numbers.  360hp @ 8,000rpm would put the engine at AROUND 95%. As far as the L series heads go, that's certainly possible. It really just comes down to what's been done to the head, and matching the cam accordingly. Not exactly rocket science.

If there was a claim of making 400+ hp I'd start to wonder what's really been done underneath. I don't see what this is so hard to believe and why those that don't jump to disbelieve would be fools...

Oh, and as to streetability... My B16A PUT DOWN 160hp SAE corrected. And that was at 8,000rpm... That should put me around 98-100% VE. I ran a 7.5lb flywheel. Engine idled perfect around 800rpm and I daily drove that car...

And yet an engine making DOUBLE that HP in a chassis that's maybe 30% heavier is supposed to be "non-streetable"? I bet the car drives fine.

Blaaa, blaa, bla.... Who's to say any of us know WHAT it makes? Sound on a youtube video is hardly conclusive for anything. It certainly "looks" like it's closer to truth than that turbo nitrous "fast L engine in the world" S130 that's been talked about lately.

Also, I bet that engine WAS warmed before this video. And look at the idle... 1,000-1,100...DESPITE being injected... It "sounds" docile but if it's idling that high there's a reason for it, and Tony's experience seems to validate the requirement for it.

Now... let's talk numbers.  360hp @ 8,000rpm would put the engine at AROUND 95%. As far as the L series heads go, that's certainly possible. It really just comes down to what's been done to the head, and matching the cam accordingly. Not exactly rocket science.

If there was a claim of making 400+ hp I'd start to wonder what's really been done underneath. I don't see what this is so hard to believe and why those that don't jump to disbelieve would be fools...

Your life depends on it, all you have is this thread...which way do you vote?  And be honest...don't make an argument for something you don't believe in unless you are a lawyer.  Not making 360...that would be my vote, if my life depends on it.

Edited by Kash

See, I just can't do that.

I bet it made 360, at the crank, on an engine dyno, with air being fed to it, with an open header exhausting to a giant corrugated tube, and possibly running race gas.

Does that mean they're a liar?

I bet if they're running 93-95 pump octane in it, and if we put it on a chassis dyno, it'd put around 290 to the wheels.

Dashracer 100 is commonly available at no-so-premium prices.

No offense here, but guys commenting from the midwest on what is or is not possible in Japan without a clue as to the norms in the market is laughable. Why insist SO HARD it's  "impossible"?

Like I said, we had 320+ from an L28 on a CHASSIS dyno from a non-stroked L28 that idled like a kitten at 900 rpms with a 15# total weight Tilton Triple-Disc....and listen to that starter engagement ringarattlerattle....

In any case, it's more than anything I currently have registered on the road. (There are other clues in the video, but I won't go into things like Shaken Stickers not being on the car, etc...)

In 1989 at the L-Gata  Shootout, no N/A Z-Car was admitted unless it was running 11.99 or faster. That was 20 years ago and on the CUSP of EFI being used there. Full bodied cars with full interiors. Do the math.

Since people will undoubtedly be upset that Tony doesn't want to spoon feed...

That's roughly 300whp as a minimum entry he's talking about.

And to tony: I hope you see that my point was more towards how something can be X horsepower while there being a million factors that we don't know about regarding that measurement. It's not lying, it's just consequential. I have no reason to question the shop's claims and abilities (and I also don't hear the shop claiming ANYTHING in that video... just some guy who I see no reason to value the opinion of).

Oh yeah, I got that.... I was the 'bet your life on it' comment that got me. Like how it's so impossible.

The fast car N/A that year was 9.99 in and S130 as I recall...

The Aussie doing the narration strikes the same chord in me as Howard Cosell doing commentary on an NFL game "Shaddap, let me hear the announcer and sounds of the GAME. I'll figure out what to think without you running your damned mouth, Howard!"

If you didn't catch it, my "I won't go into all the little things" was along your same point. There are no registration stickers on that car. That says something. If someone in Japan looks at the car there are telltale signs. It's not all shiny chrome and paint like "Howard" is obsessing about!

There are those who will argue it's impossible to have 400HP, but Burton Brown's car (3 liter) is running around doing 173 mph on a non-G-Nosed open front stock body Z Car....

.465 Cd, 22 sq ft frontal area....

Physics and Physical Laws don't lie. The dyno can say all it wants, but the indisputable fact that a car does the 1/4 mile, or overcomes aerodynamic drag for a known set of conditions makes calculation of what it likely could be easier.  

You won't got 11.99 in a 240Z with 250HP. And you sure won't go 170mph, regardless of what your speedo (that stops at 160) says!

Edited by Tony D

Nice car , i was having a chat with the bloke on facebook last week about the engine , 3.2 L 330HP ,he said he has never said it was 360 hp , and he is only guessing , its never been on a engine dyno ,like most jap engines they run them up and they have a guess, about engine PS . We sent one over it was 350hp hear at the engine they said it was 400 at the wheels , i dont know how that works .

best you dont beleve all that is said , and in car books

Tony, I love that rangarattle noise. :icon10: Bugs the **** out of my dad, he thinks those cars are falling apart until they go!

Engine was warmed up, them there gauges said so (I believe it read 70 or 80C).

At 2:10, note full throttle, note when cam comes in. He engaged his VTEC you guys. Redefines "does absolutely nothing below ----RPM" and perhaps even "streetable". :icon43:

Take it easy guys, enjoy the Z's.

Edited by josh817

This is shouji-san's client car. My last conversation with Shouji-san states that there are Kameari Engine Works parts on this car. Kameari had made big numbers in the past, so I wouldnt doubt if it made that power. 

Star Road Japan is one of the best restoration shops in Japan, maybe the world. 

Edited by surfer.tech

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if the "bumper filler covers" the pieces below the headlights are a purchasable part? I'm surprised i don't see them on more bumperless Z's.

Sure they are, you "buy them" from Star Road and they make you up a set!