HybridZ

What have you done to get the most out of your N/A 280ZX without serious engine mods?

Connor280ZX

I don't have one on mine, and unless you're tracking it...it's questionable it's benefits. A smaller diameter steel tubing shaft may have lower MOI, and therefore accelerate faster than and aluminum unit of larger diameter.

I dynoed in SoCal, and ran the 1/4 mile first on my 1st gen G-Tech (which was close to my actual dyno run results) and then made a series of track passes in SanAntonio Texas where the track has a certified scale so I got an actual as-run track weight to do the hp calculations from the 1/4 mile times and trap speeds.

My stock L28 spun 147 on a dyno. The 1/4 mile times say "more" (15.50 @ 89.XX)

So tune till you hit that point...call it your "baseline" and go from there.

I have a baseline for my 260z, it had an L26 and put out 145 to the hubs with SU carbs. So yes this is very achievable. 

• 9 months later...

Because you don't know how to search.

+ that!      A guy who is "always here" need to get under the hood and get dirty ( O no) to get results. Or there is the dream on way of doing it, where one just gets more and more proven ideas, then bashes them with " I read" ......

Thanks to all the contributors who give proven and useful ways to remedy an issue.

• 1 month later...

She runs pretty good, but still stock. Tweaked/tuned everything I could to squeeze every last bit of power out of the engine. Looking into putting a Turbo intake manifold on the car, shave the mount for the AACV, and mill/tap the plenum for the cold start valve. 6% more air than N/A manifold.

Well if Paul says so then it must be; although, I have never seen that kind of bump from swapping over to one.  Not sure why one would go through the trouble of swapping and modifying a stock intake manifold, yet not modify it to make power.  There is an awful lot of flow to be had inside those stock runners and plenum.

Well if Paul says so then it must be; although, I have never seen that kind of bump from swapping over to one.  Not sure why one would go through the trouble of swapping and modifying a stock intake manifold, yet not modify it to make power.  There is an awful lot of flow to be had inside those stock runners and plenum.

I'd rather swap to a slightly free-er flowing manifold than spend nearly $500 for someone to port my only manifold, only mildly (1-1.5mm per runner). I'm not looking for huge gains, but just enough to get my car running low 14's. I am very limited with the stock EFI upon how much i can port. The problem is, i have no choice but to stick with the stock EMS in order to stay street legal (Cali Smog laws).

Edited by Connor280ZX

Optimal port diameter is 35mm and it will flow 200+ CFM.

If you make a hole bigger than 35mm, you screwed up if you're using stock-sized valves!

The "restriction" in the stock manifold comes from it's bends, shorten it and a stub stack at 35mm will flow enough to surprise you.

Bigger is not necessarily better.

Edited by Tony D

• 1 month later...