HybridZ

280Z (vented) hood on 240Z - opinions?

240zip

I came into possession of an actual NOS Nissan OEM 280Z hood.  It had sat in a storage shed in Pueblo, Colorado since 1986 and is still in the battleship gray primer with the Nissan part code and sticker on the underside.  It does not appear to have ever been placed on a car.  I'm considering putting it on my orange 240Z.  I would paint the vents a satin black to match the front and rear spoiler on the car.  My car is undergoing a turbo motor swap.  With respect to this 280Z hood, I'm not sure if the vents are actually functional as I've never owned a 280Z.  My other option is to try and fix my 240Z hood which just isn't working out.  It's a bit rusty, has been worked on, and I think even with 20 hours of metal work will not be 1/2 the hood this OEM one is.  I'm concerned about originality, but since I already swapped the motor, transmission, and differential - I kinda think that ship has sailed.

Does any one have a picture of a 240Z (orange) with the 280Z hood for comparison?

Any opinions: looks, functionality, etc.?

I was specifically interested in a 280Z hood on a 240Z.  I didn't see any discussions specific to that topic.  Saw lots on the factor hood scoop option for the 1973 240Z.  I also looked at the magazine.  I've seen the black hoods on the 240Zs (orange) but not the 280Z hood.  Was just wondering why it wasn't more common.

Or, put 240Z bumpers on a 280Z :). It accomplishes the same look. I like the look, but the vents are fragile, and crack easily. I ran a 240Z hood on my 240Z turbo car. Zero problems related to heat after 50+ track events. So if you like the look, go for it.

I am running a 280Z hood on my 240Z.  It does help cool the engine compartment, but the vent studs seem to be easily broken off.  I've tried to restud mine a few times - but it's still not holding.  If you like the look of the aftermarket vents you can go that route - but I prefer the look of the original vents. 

As you stated - you really don't have to worry about keeping the car original - so running a 280Z hood on a 240Z is a good upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...