HybridZ

600 miles round trip, what should I have to check before I go?

So I need to drive the Z 300 miles each way down south to get the frame rail welded. What should I prepare for a long trip?

The car has never gone that far since I bought it. The longest trip was up to a local mountain , around 80 miles round trip. ( attitude 4300 - 6000 feet) . Car was seem lacking power at the top of summit ( + 6000 f) . I think it was because of the air too thin. 

I changed engine oil, tranny oil, rear diff oil. Tranny leaking from front from the oil seal ( I was lazy to change when swapped the trans)

Coolant flush and changed. Car run very good around local. No over heat and oil pressure is normal. 

I am asking to prepare because the highway I am taking is pretty isolated. Every towns are about 100 miles apart. If it broken down in middle of nowhere then it will hurt my wallet to get it tow.

Thanks guys.

Duct tape, some radiator hose, fluids (quart of oil, gallon of water, brake fluid), tools, tarp, flashlight, and a blanket. I have a crash bucket in every vehicle in case I need it. In my truck I also carry recovery items just in case too.

I would suggest you buy Gorilla Tape rather than duct tape. It is much stronger and the adhesive seems to stick better.

Found a quarter sized hole in the front side of my driver's rear inner wheel well. A small piece of Gorilla Tape stayed in place and kept the inner dogleg area dry for several months until I got the sheet metal replaced.

I would suggest you buy Gorilla Tape rather than duct tape. It is much stronger and the adhesive seems to stick better.

Found a quarter sized hole in the front side of my driver's rear inner wheel well. A small piece of Gorilla Tape stayed in place and kept the inner dogleg area dry for several months until I got the sheet metal replaced.

A buddy of mine did the same exact thing for his bug only he used aluminum tape

I may be driving my 76 280Z 700 miles one way soon. it has new brakes, new tires, plugs, ect its reliable I've driven it 180 miles round trip before without a hitch except its only a 4 speed and its straight piped, the exhaust gasses really get to you after a while  :wacko:

Bishop, CA to Los Angeles taking HW395. I will just sign up for AAA and save my trunk for some more stuffs instead of bunch of tools . Of course I will go over all the check list before I go. I will let you guy know if the Z hold up. Meanwhile , still fixing my fuel meter , it receives sending signal but go up and back down right away. 

About the weld part, well, the body shop up here want to charge me close to 1k to weld it and they want me to strip engine and transmission and all other stuffs out before welding. 

Thanks all. 

Why on earth go from Bishop to LA? Plenty of shops in Sacto or Reno can do that work!

Bishop down 395 is a nice trip so I would say welding of the frame is the excuse to take the trip instead of hindrance to it!

AAA Premium ($100 annually) and a cel phone. If the car made it 80 miles into the hills without issue and you are on the maintenance properly a fluids check, air pressure check and a key is all you need.

Why on earth go from Bishop to LA? Plenty of shops in Sacto or Reno can do that work!

Bishop down 395 is a nice trip so I would say welding of the frame is the excuse to take the trip instead of hindrance to it!

First reason I bought the car up here in Bishop , where I work , I don't really know anybody in the town. Second reason , Yeap, I want to show off my new ride to my buddies down south. :)

Edited by 9rider