HybridZ

R180 cv axle conversiom

layZboy

• 1 year later...

I see a lot of references to Wolf Creek Racing CV conversions but not that many to the Ermish Racing ones.

Ermish comes up in a few google searches, but the Wolf Creek seems to have a far greater installed base.

I can't discern a difference between the two kits except a few dollars difference in price.  Any reason to not go with the Ermish ones for a R180 conversion as Wolf Creek is bit in limbo right now?

He installed adjustable control arms at the same time.  So, still undefined.  Just saying, make sure.

Also, it's not clear how the kit works with bolt in R180 axles.  How do you attach that adapter to the splined shaft?   I don't know the R180's very well though, so maybe it's obvious.  Or maybe you need the truck diff.

A phone call would probably clear it up.

Troy has been making those CV conversions for at least 6 years, mostly in the 510 world. He bought the second set of the Subie side axles I made. Both Todd and Troy used the same CVs and shafts in their kits. The only unique parts are the adapters.

You can fab a pair of axles from VW or Porsche parts.  There's a regular on "the510realm", Matt, that produces aluminum adapter flanges to interface the VW/Porsche CVs to Datsun 4-bolt flanges.  

With the recent tragic passing of Todd Walrich, I wouldn't count on the Wolf Creek kits being available too much longer....I don't have any insider knowledge, just reading the tea leaves.  Other's may have more info on WCR product availability.

Todd's passing and product availability uncertainty from WCR is what prompted looking for another source.  

I sent Troy Ermish an email yesterday and in his response he assured me his CV Axles would work with the Beta Subaru conversion side axles and in a 240Z.  So that is the direction I am headed now.     

I was actually talking to Todd a week prior to his passing about those axles. His wife said that there is someone interesting in buying and making the axles for the r180. So they will probably still be around in one shape or another. If not, as John C said Troy is using the same parts except the adapters. I'm holding out for a bit longer before I contact Troy about fitting his axles to a Subaru r180 with the stock axles wolf creek stubs (beta motorsports stubs).

So there is a silver lining to all of those blue Subaru clones out on the streets.

Seems a little down on power capacity though.  Weaker than factory, isn't it.  Shouldn't be spec.'ed in HP anyway.

Product Description

This is for you guys installing a R180 from a STI in what ever you can get it under. This stub is a 300m part capable of over 100Hp and ready to have a 108mm CV bolted up to it.

Edited by NewZed

• 4 weeks later...

NewZed where are you getting 100hp? When I click that site I'm seeing 1000Hp

I copied and pasted it directly from their web site.  Thought it was humorous, an obvious typo.  The Driveshaft Shop must have a Hybridz mole, they fixed it.  Good for them.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-driveshafts/subaru/r180-stub-with-porsche-930-108mm-cv-mount