HybridZ

Should I go with a t3/04 turbo?

beaniam

I positively identified the turbo the PO used in the swap on my car as a ceramic wheel r33 rb26det turbo with the stock 280zxt  7lb wastegate and some aftermarket 2.5" downpipe.  A big FMIC and 2.25" piping.  Currently I'm running 12-14psi.  At about 13psi it feels like the WG starts to open up sometimes.  I'm thinking that's due to the no name ebay manual boost controller.  I have a cable controlled Hallman MBC on the way to give that a try but I'm starting to worry about the limits of this turbo.  Is it a definite danger of exploding the ceramic wheel at 14psi?  Time to go with a t3/04 variant and 3" DP?  Engine is a stock f54/p90a.  Other details are in sig.  I have not run a 1/4 mile or dyno'd the car yet.  I did just purchase tuner studio to start running the analyze live.

Do not run or make a pull with the wastegate disconnected!!! that is asking for a engine rebuild. (overboost) What the hell skirkland you know better than that? The ceramic wheels are fine for alot of boost but the epoxy holding it on will not deal with the heat. that turbo 12 psi is safe. I have a turbonetics t04e 50 trim with a bored t3 turbine i get 5 psi at 2500 and all in at 3300 at 10 psi on low and 16 on high boost. I have a homemade 2 stage boost controller. I recommend a t3/t4 on the l28 its a perfect fit. Just don't go huge unless your mods warrant it. Welcome to hybrid man!!! Best of luck. Shame skirkland..... :icon11:

Edited by redzedturbo

I have no intentions of running with the WG disconnected.  I put in the hallman boost controller and the flutter at 13 went away.  12psi is fun, 13 is more fun 14 is more yet.  I want more but mostly I want some peace of mind at 14 knowing the turbo isn't going to self destruct.  A t3/t4 is in the future.  I don't plan on any future mods outside of what's in my sig.  What trim would be recommended for that?

Edited by beaniam

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Garrett T3/T4E 50 trim with a stage 3 exhaust wheel. I have loved this turbo and it matches the L28ET very well. I get 20 psi around 3K or so depending on what RPM you start at. Boost really does not fall off between shifts and makes good power. I made right at 390-400 wheel HP and 400 lbs TQ on pump at 20psi. Are there better turbo's out there? Yes. but for the price It wasn't worth it to me.  If you have the money, GT30R would be good or a comparable Borg Warner variant.

I have a Garrett T3/T4E 50 trim with a stage 3 exhaust wheel. I have loved this turbo and it matches the L28ET very well. I get 20 psi around 3K or so depending on what RPM you start at. Boost really does not fall off between shifts and makes good power. I made right at 390-400 wheel HP and 400 lbs TQ on pump at 20psi. Are there better turbo's out there? Yes. but for the price It wasn't worth it to me.  If you have the money, GT30R would be good or a comparable Borg Warner variant.

May I be nosey and ask what else was done to that motor, or is that a basically stock block?

Yeah sure.. here is a rundown on the motor and what I am running.

stock bore L28ET block
forged JE pistons
stock forged rods and crank

Nismo Metal HG
Rebuilt P90head 3angle valve job with port matching
Garrett 50 trim T3/t4 turbo - Ported exhaust housing to match gasket and manifold
PTP Turbo Blanket
Non turbo "A" cam
Tial 38mm external wastegate
3" downpipe and exhaust
440CC injectors
65mm TB
2.5" aluminum IC piping
bar and plate front mount IC
50mm tial BOV
shaved and ported intake manifold
ported exhaust manifold
Aluminum radiator
dual 12" zirgo electric fans
aluminum fuel rail
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Magnecor plug wires
Mega-squirt and Spark ECU

• 10 months later...

seems you are getting boost late. A good setup will give you 22-25psi of boost @ 3K if done right. keep working on it.

hi jeffp tonyd toll me you reach the 400hp  at the wheels with stock ECU z32 how you control bigger injectors without modified the internals of the unit and how much boost you adjust it to this numbers what type of boost control you use manual or electronic.please replay  

hi jeffp tonyd toll me you reach the 400hp  at the wheels with stock ECU z32 how you control bigger injectors without modified the internals of the unit and how much boost you adjust it to this numbers what type of boost control you use manual or electronic.please replay  

The way I ran 370cc injectors with my factory Z31 ECU was to install my airflow sensor element in a proportionally larger intake pipe.  The Z31 ECU was programmed to operate 265cc injectors, and I used 370cc injectors (40% higher flow), so I installed the airflow element in a tube that had 40% more area, which turned out to be 3.5" ID.

I dyno'd 313 rwhp with that setup and a stock L28ET (about 15psi boost).