HybridZ

Aftermarket 280Z front diff crossmember?

pureZero

Are you saying I should get rid of the one in the picture? I got that picture off of Google. The cracks on mine are on the ends around where the lower control arms are held in.

I would weld it, or have someone weld it, but my welding instructor (who is an ex-body/mechanical repair tech) was very clear on not welding it if I don't absolutely have to. I was a little skittish about going to town on it with a welder to begin with, knowing how much of a vital part it is. You wouldn't happen to know if it was ever heat treated, would you?

Keep in mind, whatever goes back in there will eventually need to handle around 400 hp...

"Keep in mind, whatever goes back in there will eventually need to handle around 400 hp..."

If your handy with a welder you could make up something like this. I switched to this after having vibration problems with an RT style mount. It's available from stuart Wilkins motorsport in Australia, not cheap though.

post-12875-0-90163200-1384937118_thumb.jpg

post-12875-0-09075100-1384937148_thumb.jpg

post-12875-0-24522400-1384937198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gareth. J.

Well that's a nifty idea. Put the isolator inside the cross member (looks suspicisously like a control arm bushing) instead in the diff mount, and get positive capture at the same time.

Might be tempted to use a poly bushing. Hardest part might be finding/making tubing with the right ID to fit the bushing you choose. 

"Keep in mind, whatever goes back in there will eventually need to handle around 400 hp..."

If your handy with a welder you could make up something like this. I switched to this after having vibration problems with an RT style mount. It's available from stuart Wilkins motorsport in Australia, not cheap though.

So... $460 is doable, later on. I'm looking for something a little newer, though. But yeah, that isn't too bad.

The OP should do a little more work on determining the cause of the cracks.  Strengthening the inner diff mounts won't help the outer contact points.  The outer cross member mounting points have the leverage advantage over the inner diff mounting points.  Probably be just fine with a stock replacement cross member.

Edited by NewZed

The OP should do a little more work on determining the cause of the cracks.  Strengthening the inner diff mounts won't help the outer contact points.  The outer cross member mounting points have the leverage advantage over the inner diff mounting points.  Probably be just fine with a stock replacement cross member.

The cracks seem to have been caused by worn control arm bushings. The cracking is right between the bolts, on the outer edges. I'll try getting a picture of them. I would rather not try welding on it if I do not absolutely have to. Wish there was a new aftermarket part out there somewhere...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-260Z-280Z-New-Bracket-Brace-Differential-Nose-Support-Bar-69-78-/151170316498?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233273f8d2&vxp=mtr

Don't really see any benefits over stock.  But there it is.  In retrospect I do remember seeing this, and noting that it is sold by DatsunPartsLLC, a guy of suspect credentials in the Z car field.  But he has a lot of parts for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone finally pointed me to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Z-240Z-260Z-280Z-New-Bracket-Brace-Differential-Nose-Support-Bar-69-78-/151170316498?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233273f8d2&vxp=mtr

I won't be buying it from datsunpartsllc (who is the seller...), as I was supplied with the number of Juan from Krecs Engineering, who supposedly makes the part. That's if I do buy it.