HybridZ

Cold Start Problem

christopherszx

So for a couple of months now my 1983 280zx has been having a cold start problem. Every time I start my car it has a very bad cold start issue. The car will crank and crank and crank till finally the car sputters into life, after that the car runs fine but it is really ruining the battery to start like this. I only start it every once in a while but it happens every time. My prediction is that the cold start valve is not working but any ideas would be great

• 2 weeks later...

There is no fuel dibrevation after it has started thats why I think has to do with starting mechanisms in the car

You need to measure fuel pressure after you shut the engine down and before you start to know if the fuel rail is draining.  If the rail is at zero when you hit the starter the engine will just keep cranking until the rial fills and re-pressurizes.

My 76 280Z has not had a cold start valve for the last few years.  I went out last week after it had sat for a few days in the garage and it fired right up after about five revolutions.  When I had an FPR that leaked down it would take longer, although not as bad as you're describing.

You might also have weak spark.  Check the grounds on your ignitor (power transformer) and its mounting bracket.  During starting spark is weaker since battery power is sucked up by the starter.  If you have a weak transformer it might cause starting problems.  I had an ignition module once that would only start the engine with starting fluid but ran okay once the engine started.

• 2 years later...