HybridZ

High horsepower 6spd guys

Curious what you guys who will running north of 700rwhp will be using for a 6spd trans? I know the tr6060 with the modified tail section can hold it but will it fit in our tunnel and what is a viable option for the oiling issue. I prefer to stick with the T56 but apparently it will never be able to hold 8-900rwhp :rolleyes:

I have a standard Camaro SS (2011) TR6060 in mine and it fits fine with the stock tail shaft (fixed yoke). I'm buttoning mine up and should be on the road within a week or so (finishing up fuel setup). In the future I plan on adding a turbo to my 5.3 and with the extra torque holding power of the TR6060 I figured it would be smart plus I couldn't find a decently priced T56. And it only had 2k miles on it for $1600 and I got a full arp head stud kit thrown in for free (future turbo parts).

I trimmed off the ears of the stock Trans mounts in my 280z tunnel and have plenty of room.

And lastly about the oiling issue it has a Trans cooling setup built in so It will work with the radiator I bought with the plugs on the low side for an auto tranny. I have part numbers to go from GM to -6AN so you can run a hose to the Trans cooler if you need them.

Edited by EastTnZ

Yes I did. I saw a build on ls1tech for a lq4 in a miata that used a slip driveshaft (without the usual slip yoke) so I went for it without having to rebuild the tranny as I have zero experience in that lol. Checkout my link in my signature and you can see the adapter and driveshaft setup. It's 1350 in the front of the shaft and a 1310 in the rear of the driveshaft.

You'll have less money in a magnum t56 by the time you make all the mods to make a standard t56 live reliably. Plus, with a magnum or TR6060 you get a low mile, better unit with triple cone synchros.... 

There are some who have fairly stock units holding this power, but its a time bomb IMO.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have a magnum T56 in mine. Lord knows it would have been cheaper........... Live and learn.

I agree if I would've had the money that's what I would've bought but the shifter location is a little shorter than desired with the magnum (see the blue z with a copper colored ls3 in it) unless you're looking into redoing your dash around the hvac controls. I looked into it and a stage 2 (700rwtq) Tr6060 rebuild is like $1900 minimum lol I hope mines good!

Edited by EastTnZ

From what ive read the T56 can be adapted to handle big power for pretty cheap.. 30 or 31 spline main shaft and a oiling system for the front gears upgrade the syncros and blockers. But again this is just what i read.

Sunny youve had the T56 apart numerous times right? what are you going to use for your new turbo build

I hav a t56 that was built up by the drivetrain guy from LMR here in Houston. I should be north of 600 to the wheels when all is said and done. I am more concerned with my rear diff and axles.

Im curious to know what they used

Edited by Thisguy

From what ive read the T56 can be adapted to handle big power for pretty cheap.. 30 or 31 spline main shaft and a oiling system for the front gears upgrade the syncros and blockers. But again this is just what i read.

Sunny youve had the T56 apart numerous times right? what are you going to use for your new turbo build

Only twice with this one. I've had others apart as well though.

I'm going to keep it the same for now, possibly adding an oil pump. Basically a "stage 2" unit. I probably will look at selling it and buying a magnum before I drop more money on a Viper or SSR mainshaft.

I still see the biggest problem with rebuilding one as the lack of cores.  You will likely still pay 1200-1500 for a mystery mileage unit with unknown symptoms, and then still end up with big money in parts in it, not to mention labor.

Hats off to you if you decide to go that route, but my advice is to buy a new one. You'll thank me later. 

For reference, I bought my trans as a "pullout" from a wrecked car, and ended up putting $950 in PARTS into it the first time, and then another $250 in machine work the second time i had it apart.  

I still see the biggest problem with rebuilding one as the lack of cores.  You will likely still pay 1200-1500 for a mystery mileage unit with unknown symptoms, and then still end up with big money in parts in it, not to mention labor.

Hats off to you if you decide to go that route, but my advice is to buy a new one. You'll thank me later. 

For reference, I bought my trans as a "pullout" from a wrecked car, and ended up putting $950 in PARTS into it the first time, and then another $250 in machine work the second time i had it apart.  

The beauty of my situation is I have the GTO T56 which means I have the good gear set. To completely rebuild the trans and upgrade to the ssr 32spline mainshaft/yoke/machining yada yada is $1700 for parts/labor out the door from TDP.

That is a 850-1k capable transmission for a quarter of the cost of the 6060.

Im also going to add the pump for better frontal lubrication

Edited by Thisguy

I have a GTO tranny. I don't like how short second gear is. Watch my videos on youtube and you will see how fast second gear is-you gotta really concentrate and be on the ball to make that 2-3 shift on time.

I hear ya

Edited by Thisguy