HybridZ

any body run bigblocks here?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i'm new so i don't know every onw here yet.

seems like the prefered choice is a small block 350 or 383 etc.... any particular reasions? personally i'm going with a 350 as well. well the reasion i bring this up is. a friend of mine owns a machine shop, and he's building a 366 bb checy for my cousin to go in to his truck. but here's the neat stuff. he's using 292 rods to give it a loger stroke. carl,(machine shop owner) has came up with this idea and has done it once, and he claims the motor is a screamer!! and the magic is the in line six 292 rods.

Well, I'm one of the bigblockers, though currently my Z is in a state of suspended animation while I work up the courage to spend $$$ on getting the engine rebuilt. It's a 1978 280Z with a 454 BBC, originally from a Chevy Suburban. 90% of the metal work on my car was done by a buddy of mine - not by me.

The BBC vs. SBC thing has been kicked around a number of times; a search under "big block" will hit most of those threads. Basically, by going with a BBC you are committing yourself to a project well beyond the framework of the so-called JTR type of swap. It CAN be done, and it can be made to handle, but it can get rather complex fairly quickly.

If you do go the BBC route, consider building as large a displacement engine as you can. Once you pay the weight, cost and fitting penalty of a big block, get at least 4.25" bore and 4.00" stroke (a 454). Your machinist friend might have more creative ideas. Small blocks are so common that there is a huge difference in price in main-line vs. unusual small block stuff. For big blocks, weird combos like aggressive stroker cranks aren't much more expensive than stuff in OEM sizes.

Best of luck!!

The SBC is so much easier to deal with in a swap IMO. Nothing wrong at all with a BBC, but it will add considerable cost to the conversion. With 400 to 500 hp easily available in a SBC, why would there be such an urge to go for a BBC in such a small/light car? No worries, but a performance SBC is plenty for a little car like the Z IMO. I guess if you have to have it ALL, then BBC is the way to go...

Davy