HybridZ

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-18996-0-39373500-1455299335_thumb.jpeg

Well, I tapped the oil block off plate just above the oil filter and the aluminum cuts like butter. I'll add the specs for 4an threads sometime in the future but it was super easy. I also dropped off the oil pan to have a 10an fitting welded on ($55) and feel like it was good/cheap insurance vs a bulkhead or another route. 1 day turn around on the weld job didn't hurt either.

post-18996-0-08826500-1455299409_thumb.jpeg

This grade B 25 lb box of 3" bends from Columbia river mandrel bends looks awesome! They're just dirty vs the other new 3" I purchased before. A ton of bends for the price.

post-18996-0-94167700-1455299529_thumb.jpeg

Lastly, I have drawn out the Hobbs switch installation diagram I will be using. At 3 psi the second walbro 255 should kick in just in case fuel from one pump isn't enough. Use 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relays and the yellow isn't used. Other than that it's a bunch of grounds and connecting to the pcm wire already plumbed to the existing fuel pump.

I'm out of town this weekend or I'd have a lot more done come early next week. Ordered a 45 degree 10an fitting for the oil drain, 4 to 2.5" reducer for the cold side at the throttle body and some other random misc parts. I can't wait to get this thing moving again! It feels like forever after tearing it down early November.

post-18996-0-35104700-1455300108_thumb.jpeg

Edited by EastTnZ

• 3 weeks later...

post-18996-0-11461100-1456834315_thumb.jpeg

Well, I've got it all put back together now. I pulled the file from the computer to tune it so fire up should be this week!!! I can't wait! I still have to add some brackets for the intercooler, padding for a little spacer between some things and clean up my wiring mess but it's coming along since early November. I have rebuilt the transmission and added a turbo. Sounds simple but with life it just takes more time than you plan for. Hoping to have a startup video soon! It has a dump exhaust until I get more shielding gas for the welder but I have all the bends and v-bands already.

I will post an in depth list of what I used in the coming week or so and it totaled about $2800 roughly and that includes some tools and the $500 for hptuners. Once I get around to beefing up the rear with an 8.8 I'll add a cam and turn up the boost hopefully!

• 2 months later...

I've not posted in a while but I'm in the tuning phase currently. Had some small tweaks to figure out before it would react to my changes but now that I've got that glitch out of the way all I can say is WOW! I've never ridden in a 500-600 hp tin can before but this thing screams! Had a 10 lb spring in and boost creep has me a few pounds higher so I'm going to lower the spring to 6 lbs and hopefully keep it at or under 10 lbs of boost. It literally blows the tires off of it, granted I'm only running 225/50/16's.

I'm just amazed at the power. My Duramax is no longer the fastest vehicle in my garage lol. I love this car! It turns heads and will blow the doors off nearly everything it seems lol!

I figured up about $3120 including $500 for hp tuners so hard parts and fluids equaled $2620. Worth every penny. If I ever have time I'll load up a parts list with pricing breakdown.

In the past it ran around 186-200* and now it's 200-220* with the higher temps sitting in traffic and as soon as you take off it cools back down to 200. Being out of boost driving to work and around town it's super streetable and I still have the factory cam installed. I have an ls6 cam in a box in the garage if I want to crank it up some in the future. I feel that the rear end will need updating to an 8.8 before I up the power anymore with the 6 speed.

Thanks for the complements and yes it is a blast to drive! I hadn't realized how much I missed driving this thing but after a 7 month hiatus for the transmission rebuild and turbo add on it was well worth all of it. Actually drive it to work yesterday for the first time since late October 2015.

You planning on driving it to ZdayZ? I'd love to check the car out in person!

I wish I had time to but I'm in a wedding this weekend and won't be able to on Saturday. I missed the last cars and coffee in Knoxville due to tuning issues but will try to be at the next one. PM me and we can meet up somewhere soon and I can take you for a ride once I get this tune figured out.

• 4 months later...

Well I've been driving/fixing the tune and have ran a 1/2 mile event earlier this month with RenekahsZ! Being able to run wide open without a speed limit is just flat awesome. Sadly I only made 1 shake down pass up to 5k rpm for 5 gears and ran 125 mph. I'm currently waiting on new clamps for my wastegate downpipe because I blew it off between the 3-4 or 4-5 shift on the track. I want to drive this car every day!!! I am only running a 5lb spring right now and it is very streetable but I've had a 10 lb spring installed for a short time and it is a completely different animal! Ridiculously fast which was the goal! Probably only 500hp but I drove this thing with a straight 6 for a while... I highly recommend the turbo after the v8 install. Next will be hooking up the AC lines again because the turbo setup rearranged my crimped lines. Hoping to gap rings on the next 5.3 I will be getting soon and a sloppy mechanics budget build boost ready engine to swap in sometime. I already have an ls6 cam to put in! :) keep turning those wrenches! It's worth it!

• 1 year later...

After having our first child 12 weeks ago I found the time to strip off the plastidip and cash to get a coat of paint slapped on the old Z. GM Torch Red suits it well! I liked the white that was on it but deep down I like washing red cars. Added attention already I can tell just from driving home from the paint shop. I acquired a used 240z rear bumper that needs some polishing, new rear factory size speakers, FairladyZ emblem for my victory spoiler and some other goodies I’ll be installing in the coming months. It’s been nearly a month since the paint job. I have a lot of polishing and waxing to do here soon with meguiars products and reinstalling my emblems I refinished along with the bumpers. I can’t wait to get this thing out soon! Such a blast to drive especially with the turbo! I’ll see if the pictures will post and I’ll update with more after the car is reassembled and cleaned up. Seats and new carpet are next. And lastly an 8.8 IRS upgrade 👍🏻 Oh and note that the pictures are not in direct sunlight so it is a lot brighter than it seems. New corvette and camaro red factory color. 

B45811AA-475D-485F-847F-348B429E3F56.jpeg

A39ED661-76BC-4770-B1E1-200BAEB86EEC.jpeg

75FACFFC-DCE2-4387-9D64-5EDB48008D61.jpeg

C7BC893D-56C0-4552-A8A6-8588A6FCA437.jpeg

6F31FDA1-ED64-4F42-9DD1-674F5E2FC270.jpeg

338E1EE2-D9F8-4694-9D63-33844219E867.jpeg

6B5B0129-335B-4CA0-BF8A-4DA5BFD66B74.jpeg

35C8152C-EADE-4F5A-94B9-0BDB1F85C729.jpeg

On 1/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, Richard Oben said:

NICE work, painting a car is a lot of work.  Nice numbers the car and congrats on the baby.  I can't imagine the amount of power that is.  Again great work.  

Thanks but I didn’t paint the car myself, I had a local budget paint shop do it for me. They wouldn’t strip off the plastidip so I had to do that myself. It’s not the best but it’s a 10 footer lol. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:58 AM, DeathByNissan55 said:

Richard saw this but did you Travis?

Figures you want to install it after I get you all hyped up about it! hahaha

Hey! Funny thing is I just picked up a 2007 Explorer diff cover like SunnyZ to bolt in my own 8.8 setup. It will cost around $600 total, then with selling the other 300zx turbo 

parts I already have I will come out nearly even and have a Ford 8.8 IRS. Stay tuned for more (it could be a year though based on me not driving it for a while, I’m tired of it being out of commission)!

On 1/10/2018 at 4:48 PM, socorob said:

How does a 6060 shift compared to a T56?

Supposedly it shifts smoother but I like it so far. It was a pain to build the shifter at the start but once I figured that out it’s been fine. It’s held up to everything I’ve thrown at it and it’s stock besides the carbon synchros (factory wore out quickly but was grinding when I bought the used tr-6060). Once I get the 8.8 rear end in then I’ll hopefully turn it up a little more and take it to the track. Right now my street tires may be saving my driveline but everyone knows you get “used to the power” after a while. I have a cam I haven’t installed and my injectors aren’t maxed out. 

On 1/8/2018 at 10:58 AM, DeathByNissan55 said:

Richard saw this but did you Travis?

Figures you want to install it after I get you all hyped up about it! hahaha

I just found some time to read through 5 pages of this setup. I do like the way it’s headed but I’m probably going to do something similar to what I’m attaching pictures of below. I have kept these pictures on my phone in an album for years so I could remember what the part numbers and stuff used were. The diff will move upwards under heavy launches and acceleration in general so I will be mounting a brace to the transmission tunnel somehow.  I love having a welder at home, just wish I had that 4 post lift in one of the posts in that link in my garage!!! 

B6045A2E-2D68-4EB0-8F7B-3A62AF5C9BD9.jpeg

177B1738-8A60-4B30-A4D2-E3CAA169F12A.jpeg