HybridZ

A little help with the Flywheel

Sanchez

Hey guys, I've been working on rebuilding my transmission recently. A friend of mine was disassembling it the other day at his garage and showed me pictures of all the casting numbers on parts when we met up later. I noticed the flywheel was stamped with "A86" which is different from what I had read about in research. Research about the casting code comes up with some European Toyota corolla. I haven't had time to look at, weigh, or do any physical examination of the part. If it helps the flywheel has 6 bolts to the crankshaft and it came off of a 1973 L24 with what I believe is a 260z transmission (because it has a neutral switch on it, if that is an identifying factor, I don't know. Maybe somebody could help me identify my 4 speed?). Does anybody have information to share on this flywheel? I have never heard of any flywheel swaps besides for the Maxima flywheel or kamaeri racing flywheel. Also if I'm not mistaken the stock Z-car flywheels were coded "Y30" and the Maximas were coded "Y70?"

Thanks, that's what all of my research led me too, the AE86 but the info I found on the flywheel did not include a casting number. This is my first time ever dealing with clutch and flywheel on any car so I'm new to this kinda thing. My car does have one of the worst cases of "Previous Owner Syndrome" I have ever dealt with, so it would not surprise if he managed to rig up so other flywheel he had laying around to this car.

Correction to original post: the S30 flywheel is stamped with a casting code of "E30" and the Maxima is "Y70" source from this post http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/78187-70-240z-flywheelis-it-lighter/

This means mine is clearly a retrofit of some sort. I will weigh the piece soon and update with the weight of my A86 flywheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Xnke, couldn't find the info anywhere on the web or forums. So that is 6lbs heavier than stock right? Could the combination of a 29lb flywheel, 3.36 rear end, 4 speed trans, and the 235/60r15 (26 inch diameter, way too large, I'm planning on changing it soon) wheels be the cause of this thing feeling like a slug off the line?

I was a little scared to drive the car too hard with the weather up here in St. Louis being nuts lately and since I was still breaking in my new engine.  But I took it out for a few launches and couldn't get the tires to chirp until about 2000 rpm.  Checked the tune, did some adjusting to the timing, enriched the mixture some (my father forgot to account for the leaning out caused by the airbox), optimized the plug gaps, put air in the tires, and lastly put another 100 miles on it the last two days.

Today it was a whole new beast... The tires chirped around 1400 rpm and the car launched more how I expected it too launch.  From what I understand a heavier flywheel makes the car more of an easier shifting ride with less need for clutch modulation, and that heavier flywheels cause a little more parasitic loss through the drivetrain due to more rotational mass.  Thanks for all the help, I plan on swapping a fivespeed trans and new rear end in soon so I will keep with this flywheel until then.  Last question, would I notice a big difference in driving characteristics after going back to a stock flywheel with the drivetrain swap I'm planning on doing? Should I notice any differences by changing the wheels to 225/45r16 (24.1in) wheels?