HybridZ

Clutch pedal install: magic required?

ShaggyZ

Converting '77 from auto to manual. Want to get the pedal installed first. I got a box with clutch and brake pedals and originally thought I'd have to swap the entire thing. Read it's a bear to do and maybe impossible without dash removal. Then I read a couple posts on the internet suggesting just the pedals could be swapped out and wouldn't require dash removal. Sounds good, but I can't see how to remove/install the bolt the clutch pedal pivots on due to its length and proximity to some other interior parts down there. Has anyone actually done this?

Edited by ShaggyZ

It is possible to do with the dash in the car, but it is going to be difficult. I had to revisit the area, but already installed my dash, so I loosened the dash bolts and raised it to pull the box IIRC. I would advise just removing the dash, it will be much easier to access the bolts and much much much easier to hookup the clevis brackets and set the pedal length etc.

Yup, I think it took me about an hour to swap the clutch and brake pedals. You don't have to remove the dash if you just want to swap the pedals and not the whole box. Just grab a flash light, push the seat back, and try and squeeze in there. Good luck!

Success. It was a frustrating 3hrs to get both pedals in. I'd like to blame the length of my limbs and my screwed-up left wrist. The clutch bolt wasn't actually all that hard to get in. The problem was getting a wrench on it; couldn't safely "dimple" that air vent so no socket wrench, and couldn't get a box end on it, so I had to turn the bolt about 1/8 rotation at a time with a shorter 17mm open end than what I normally use, flipping it each time. After that, getting the spring on was kinda hard using two long flat-heads; one to pull on the spring (hooked to the pedal) and the other to slide the spring toward the nylon-sheathed hook on the box. 

The brake pedal went much quicker, and I recommend doing the clutch prior to installing the new brake pedal, as I did.

I removed the seat and laid a sleeping bag in the gap between the seat brackets to make it remotely comfortable. Also, I unbolted the bracket that holds the hood release and vent cable; think that helped a good deal.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Edited by ShaggyZ