HybridZ

Pics of the new Black Dragon Euro/JDM style (no holes) 240Z bumpers they just released.

Krinkov

You can chrome stainless. If you are looking for a chrome finish that won't rust, that is the only way to do it. Even highly polished stainless won't look exactly like chrome.

So my understanding is that the Black Dragon ones are chome plated steel. There are also stainless ones being sold on Ebay which are just polished.

Anybody have an xrf analyzer near the OP. I'm curious as to who actually makes these along with their make up. If a magnet doesn't stick we know for sure its a high quality stainless piece with chrome plating. I have no idea if flash plating is still popular. If a magnet sticks it may be steel or low quality stainless. This is bugging me. I want to know.

Edited by tecreatta

I have a set I made fit my 260. Traded a guy a r200 for the front and rear set new, way back in 2003. They are steel, and rust pretty quickly on the back side (chrome dip is thin).

http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/album/611-1974-rb26dett-powered-z-car-2/

So you're saying you had a set of Black Dragon bumpers for a 240Z that you made fit your 260? How did you get those in 2003? 

Edited by Krinkov

so you're saying you had a set of Black Dragon bumpers for a 240Z that you made fit your 260? How did you get those in 2003? 

Nice quick edit.

There was no Black Dragon that I know of in '03. These are from Victoria British (from what the guy told me) which I think is one in the same.

Anybody have an xrf analyzer near the OP. I'm curious as to who actually makes these along with their make up. If a magnet doesn't stick we know for sure its a high quality stainless piece with chrome plating. I have no idea if flash plating is still popular. If a magnet sticks it may be steel or low quality stainless. This is bugging me. I want to know.

Those ain't stainless. Thin steel.

Well a magnet does stick to them if that clears it up a bit. Just curious as to why anyone would think black dragon would make these chrome AND stainless steel when you get the exact same results with chrome regular steel? Ive just never heard of of any OE or aftermarket bumpers that were made that way, especially at the price BD is offering these for. Well anyhow, if anyone in the SF bay wants to come check them out just message me. Seeing as my car is up on jackstands for a while then likely going straight to paint it will probably be some time before I actually install them though. 

Edited by Krinkov

Old High End Cadillacs and Buicks had oem stainless steal bumpers that were flash chromed. They did it so all the chrome on the car matched in color. It was actually quite common when cars still had real bumpers in luxury lines. You don't ever have to worry about a chromed stainless bumper rusting. You just re-chrome after the chrome wears off. Steel bumpers eventually rust. There are quite a few posts over at the HAMB  forums on this subject. I was hoping Black Dragon had the same supplier as Harrington. Stainless has won me over many times. No point in buying thin steel for bumpers...

Old High End Cadillacs and Buicks had oem stainless steal bumpers that were flash chromed. They did it so all the chrome on the car matched in color. It was actually quite common when cars still had real bumpers in luxury lines. You don't ever have to worry about a chromed stainless bumper rusting. You just re-chrome after the chrome wears off. Steel bumpers eventually rust. There are quite a few posts over at the HAMB  forums on this subject. I was hoping Black Dragon had the same supplier as Harrington. Stainless has won me over many times. No point in buying thin steel for bumpers...

Wow, good to know! but yeah I positive these are mild steel just like the stock units. That said, I put them side by side with the stock ones and the BD ones definitely appeared to used the same gauge steel, so take that for what its worth i guess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a set I made fit my 260. Traded a guy a r200 for the front and rear set new, way back in 2003. They are steel, and rust pretty quickly on the back side (chrome dip is thin).

http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/album/611-1974-rb26dett-powered-z-car-2/

For anyone getting new bumpers or want to keep theirs from degrading further.......when I had my factory chrome bumpers chemically stripped and re-polished and re-chromed, I took the time to Scothcbrite clean the backs and edges with the aid of Acetone and then heated them up in the hot sun and sprayed them with high quality undercoat a few light times. If you mask nicely they look awesome and take very little clean up.

Mine look new after 10 years! I also used 'Sharkhide Metal Protectant' to protect the chrome from surface attacks like brake dust and bolt corrosion.