HybridZ

Need a radiator for a 240z with an L28 swap

Greetings all,

So, I have a '73 240z with an L28E from a 280z.

She needs a new radiator.

I've heard that the stock radiator for the 280z would sit a couple inches lower than desired and needs some extra mounting work.

That said, I'd like to put a new all aluminium radiator that fits the 240z properly, but that can also cool the L28.

Now, I would think that any decent two or three row would be fine.

When I tried to inquire about using this champion cooling 3 row, the dealers were pretty much saying no dice.

So, the only brand I can find that actually claims to support the 2.8 L28 is Koyorad.

They seem pretty sweet, but the high price, lack of warranty, no drain plug, and separate $30 cap are all turn offs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What do you mean the champion radiator guys were saying no dice? A champion rad should work. 

Afco also makes a huge one through thezstore.com, and mishimoto I think has started to make one that is fairly affordable and has an amazing warranty. 

I'm assuming that you aren't doing anything too wild, just an L28 with whatever head you currently have along with the stock Su's? If so then your stock radiator would honestly cool it just fine. 

Nothing wild, no. I was probably just asking the wrong people... but when I asked about the mishi and the champion on amazon the vendor guys said it was only for the L24 and L26 with the guy representing mishi saying: "No it will not, sorry".

I'm thinking of just trying one of them and seeing if it works.

I had a champion radiator in my 240z when I had an L28. The L24, L26, and L28 share the same outer dimensions, so I am not sure why they would say it would work for two and not the other.

I think FPI (fins per inch) should also be looked at with conjunction to the number of cores. I remember reading that FPI is just as important, but it has been a while. 

If you choose to go the champion radiator route, make sure to get a shroud for the fan setup and seal off any areas around that air might seep through. Mine ran on the hotter side of things in traffic or during long idling.

The koyorad is an amazing product. I have one in my 240z with L28 at the moment. However it does lack the drain plug. You can get other caps to fit. The other thing to be mindful is you have to cut the upper radiator hose. But it sure does the job and looks amazing.

But the stock radiator should be fine for what you are doing. If you really want an aluminum radiator the options you mention should work. As xtreme_240z mentioned some 4 row don't allow for a good fit with the fans.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Jags that Run option.  There is a nice write up showing what makes the radiator special here:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf

I think you would need the Rad ($185), the mounting kit ($80), and the DAT-128 kit which is for running hoses from the new rad to the L series engine instead of a V8.  They would be able to confirm. 

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Datsun_Order.html#anchor

When I bought it years ago, the mounting brackets were galvanized steel.  Now, it looks like they are aluminum, and come with electric fan straps too.  I just happen to be looking at electric fans now, so maybe I'll upgrade to the aluminum kit.

Also, just saw the Koyo radiator at the Koyo site:

http://www.koyoradracing.com/news.asp?id=61

Looks nice and I like that it mounts to the stock location, but that thing is thick - and in the example car shown, there is no engine fan installed, stock or electric.  Doesn't look like there is much room for a fan there to me.

G

Edited by inline6

I like the Jags that Run option.  There is a nice write up showing what makes the radiator special here:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf

I think you would need the Rad ($185), the mounting kit ($80), and the DAT-128 kit which is for running hoses from the new rad to the L series engine instead of a V8.  They would be able to confirm. 

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Datsun_Order.html#anchor

When I bought it years ago, the mounting brackets were galvanized steel.  Now, it looks like they are aluminum, and come with electric fan straps too.  I just happen to be looking at electric fans now, so maybe I'll upgrade to the aluminum kit.

I bought this kit for my 71 and was great. I went to buy it for my 73 and got my money refunded saying they were no longer producing the kit.