HybridZ

3,1 very hard cranking

sotaorava

Hi

I tryied to find topics for this problem and found few but they did not help me...

i have very hard time to crank the engine tryied 2 different batterys and 2 starters ground and + should be ok

even plugs of engine turns hardly and + wire and starter gets very hot after trying.

engine has never run just fresh rebuild

n42 block 89mm bore

240sx pistons

n42 head

1.2mm metal gasket

is there any possibility that my timing chain could be to short i remember that it was very difficult to but on

and that causes to much frigtion?

bore is to tight? that means i have to take engine of :(

can somesort head problems cause this??

alternator was upgraded before i swapped the engine was running good with my old l24

yeah wires getting hot would succest bad wiring or connection but main wires and connectors are new

and i am running/testing starter directly from battery not by key...

it turns like there is no power but battery is full 12.8v and tested another good battery also even with jumper cables so these should be enough power to turn the engine

Take out the spark plugs so that there wll be no compression. Try to turn the motor over by hand (wrench on the crankshaft pully bolt). It should turn easily. If you put the wrong bearings in, you will have to disassemble and replace them with the correct ones.

Pretty sure that the bearings can be replaced from below, engine in car, with some ingenuity.  Here's an old link for example - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/81528-replacing-piston-rings-with-the-engine-in-the-vehicle-l-series-faq/

Somewhere out there he describes the process in detail.  He did not remove the engine.  I think that the hardest part is getting the oil pan off.

You could also try putting the car in high car (if it's a manual) and giving the car a shove to see how tight things are.  Maybe it just needs a few spins to get lubed up.

If you installed oversized bearings on a standard size crank, it's possible you've ruined the main bearing caps IF you managed to seat them and torque them to spec. Same with the connecting rods...wrong bearings will distort the big end of the rods.

If you didn't use assembly lubricant when you put it together...well...

Your comment about timing chain being very tight is suspicious also. Tension should come from tensioner, so it shouldn't be tighter than any other engine.

Regarding bearings, haven't you or the engine builder checked clearances during the build? That's clearly one of the major item to control during rebuild. Either builder did not know what he was doing or you should be fine.

I would suggest to turn by hand the engine with spark plugs removed as suggested below to feel rotating torque of the engine. That would help you to remove engine block from the equation.

Does the cam rotate fairly easily?  The "How to Rebuild" book says that the cam towers are "align bored" and that if you remove the towers, they may not line up correctly after re-installation... 

Is there a possibility that the cam was in the wrong orientation when installed and the piston was pushing against an open valve?

Maybe the problem is in the transmission.  You never said if you tried to turn it by hand, but since the engine is out it should be easy enough to remove the transmission and give the engine a spin by hand.  If the transmission is still attached do a before and after test.

Ok update

i took piston rings off and put pistons and conrods back and torquet everything to spec...smooth and easy to turn

piston ring cap is ok tho upper about 0.45 to 0.5mm second about 0.55 to 0.6mm

dont understand how they could cause so much frigtion that my old l24 is easier to turn even with head and plugs in