HybridZ

1978 280Z LS2/T56 build

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warlord - I don't know what your plans are for the gauges in the car.  If it's as nice as RebekahsZ says then you may want to stick with the stock gauges. If that is the case do the research and see if you can get an T56 tailshaft that will give you a mechanical output for the speedometer.  It will cost you a bit more but will eliminate the need for a CableX box to "translate" the t56 electronic speed output to a mechanical drive for the stock speedometer.

Also, JCI can convert your tach for use with the LS motor if you don't have someone local.

Since the 280Z is already an EFI car you can also use the stock fuel lines and tank and just install a larger pump in the same location as the stock unit unless you're planning on beefing up the LS2 to much higher than stock HP.  Again, JCI can provide the pump or you can search one out on this site.

Lot's of decisions for you to make and you need to know what those decisions are and make them as early on in your build as possible as it will save you a lot of heartache in the future.

Probably the first one is are you building a daily driver or a track car?  That will influence what you want to do interior wise and how significantly you'll want to modify your brakes and suspension.  You can PM me if you have specific questions or just want to chat.

Bill

Warlord - I don't know what your plans are for the gauges in the car.  If it's as nice as RebekahsZ says then you may want to stick with the stock gauges. If that is the case do the research and see if you can get an T56 tailshaft that will give you a mechanical output for the speedometer.  It will cost you a bit more but will eliminate the need for a CableX box to "translate" the t56 electronic speed output to a mechanical drive for the stock speedometer.

Also, JCI can convert your tach for use with the LS motor if you don't have someone local.

Since the 280Z is already an EFI car you can also use the stock fuel lines and tank and just install a larger pump in the same location as the stock unit unless you're planning on beefing up the LS2 to much higher than stock HP.  Again, JCI can provide the pump or you can search one out on this site.

Lot's of decisions for you to make and you need to know what those decisions are and make them as early on in your build as possible as it will save you a lot of heartache in the future.

Probably the first one is are you building a daily driver or a track car?  That will influence what you want to do interior wise and how significantly you'll want to modify your brakes and suspension.  You can PM me if you have specific questions or just want to chat.

Bill

Daily driver but it will see a little 1/8 action.

Welcome to the club Warlord.  Its pretty lonely out here in Idaho.  You are lucky to have Keith nearby to give you some pointers.  You will also love the car when it is done, or at least on the road again-it seems they are really never done... You know, brakes, axles, wheels, tires, springs, sway bars, control arms, diffs..........

I also liked the under-counter parts you have available.  Keep them handy.

I'm ready to buy a transmission. Lots of junk for sale.

I found a T56. It should be here next week sometime.

Hopefully you didn't buy a junker!

The number of t56's actually in good shape is becoming smaller and smaller.

Welcome to the club Warlord.  Its pretty lonely out here in Idaho.  You are lucky to have Keith nearby to give you some pointers.  You will also love the car when it is done, or at least on the road again-it seems they are really never done... You know, brakes, axles, wheels, tires, springs, sway bars, control arms, diffs..........

I also liked the under-counter parts you have available.  Keep them handy.

Sorry for thread-jacking but where are you located in Idaho?  I'm currently stationed at Mt Home AFB and would love to see your car if your close.