HybridZ

L28DOHC still running strong.

1 fast z

Hey Guys, I know I haven't been on here in awhile, doesn't mean I'm not into Z's anymore, just that I have been super busy with so many things.  I Went back to school (after mech engineering) to get certified in CNC programming and 3d Modeling to better alot of my designs and to make ideas a reality.  I own a smaller CNC shop, and that keeps a lot of my time busy.  I had 3 kids, bought a house out in the country and that also takes a lot of time.   I had 2 boys with my wife, and a third will be here in a couple weeks also!   I went to Bonneville this year with a my dad and a couple guys from my shop and set a land speed record in a production class that was pretty exiting.  Anyways, I still have the L31dett car, actually got it out today.  I usually get the car out about once every couple of months, drive it for a bit, hammer on it, and go sideways at 100 MPH plus then I get the crap scared out of me, and then put it away for another couple months!  

I actually relocated the EDIS triggering system to the flywheel.  I CNC'd the 36-1 notches into the stock lightened flywheel, at the maximum diameter of the inertia ring.  What I gained was lot more resolution to the EDIS signal, as well as it made it a pain changing belts with it on the harmonic.  It also free'd up some space up front for the clearance of electric fans.  I designed a double disc clutch for the car also.  I have a Z32 clutch in it, but I break them fairly often.  The straps that go from the Pressure Plate to the Clutch Cover end up cracking and breaking.  Also it takes so much pressure to hold the power that I have ended up wiping out the LD cranks and thrust bearings in the motor.  I wanted to design a clutch that will hold the torque of the DOHC motor, but also be lightweight.  My design uses an aluminum CNC'd cover, lightweight floater plate, and lightweight puck disc.  

I ended up building a new short block with a 87mm bore.  I would crack cylinder blocks with the 89mm bore fairly often, so I decided to go down to a 87mm bore and bored the block to compensate to core shift to maintain maximum cylinder thickness. I didn't notice any power drop with the smaller displacement.  

I have went through 3 sets of 315-35-17 R compound slicks in about 3,000 miles, it likes to eat up tires.  I have contemplated making the car AWD to aid in traction issues.

The dual fuel pumps seem to be keeping up with the fuel flow, along with a surge tank.  

I dont know if many of you guys remember my silver 280z that had the stroker NA motor but I wrecked that car pretty bad, and now put that motor in my 1971 240z.  My plan is to build a DOHC head for that motor next, and achieve over 400 RWHP NA with a 3.1 liter engine that will rev to 9k plus, and still be streetable.  

Anyways, Ill post updates as much as I can.  Here is a couple pics I took today of the TT car.

1555394_10152261710148804_1243655191_n.j

1536534_10152261710178804_885181724_n.jp

Glad to hear you are still Zing!! We miss the Z expertise on the site, but glad has been good for you. 

I'm doing the same with my flywheel(though not professionally CNC'd) and my Megasquirt install. Glad to hear it works well. Not up and running, but it seemed like a great solution to the trigger wheel for me.

post-1083-0-42686700-1390834508_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear you are still Zing!! We miss the Z expertise on the site, but glad has been good for you. 

I'm doing the same with my flywheel(though not professionally CNC'd) and my Megasquirt install. Glad to hear it works well. Not up and running, but it seemed like a great solution to the trigger wheel for me.

I believe the EDIS signal needs a 50% time on and a 50% time off.  Those holes you drilled might not produce the correct signal.  I could be wrong though.  

• 1 month later...

EDIS doesn't care much about the signal...it just counts the zero-crossings.

BRAAP's EDIS testing confirms this. If you can trigger EDIS on a saw blade, I'm pretty sure you can trigger it on just about anything magnetic.

I'm glad to hear the project is still up and running. Has there been any more dyno progress with the smaller bores? Obviously you don't have much anything to prove, I'm just curious how far you'll end up taking the project.

Very cool project. I'd be curious to see what one of these heads could do N/A. I'm sure you are a busy man, and I have no idea how long this took to make, but with people dropping 3k+ on a worked over head by shops like sunbelt is there not a market for selling these?

Either way, keep up the great work  :trippen:  :rockon: