HybridZ

Ceramic coating/thermal barrier coating on stainless manifolds

BLOZ UP

Underhood temps, that's really the main reason I'd be doing this. My headers come pretty close to the brake heat shield, which gets really hot after running.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it's going to make though. I think I'll coat the turbine at least, since it's mild steel and getting pretty ugly.

Generally stainless doesn't require thermal coatings as it withstands the heat much better than mild steel. It also does not transmit heat as well, so there are less radiant heat issues for nearby components.

Nothing says you can't apply thermal barriers to SS, but it would be more for nearby component radiant heat reduction than to protect the SS component from degrading (like on mild steel.)

Then again, a nice SS or Aluminum Heat Shield between the heat source and component works just as well!

Shut up, that's not what I said.

You want to bang home whatever point you want, go right ahead.

I stand by what I wrote. It's not what you twisted in your infantile repost.

"Shut up, you're being infantile", ????   Well that's much more mature.  What YOU said quite clearly is that SS is so thermally efficient that it doesn't require any additional thermal barrier.  Also, it won't degrade like mild steel.  Define degrade?  Clearly it's not going to corrode away like mild steel would after numerous heat cycles , but it will most certainly oxidize and look like hell rather quickly.   I've just shown you 3 normally aspirated examples of uncoated SS components and they look like hell.  The turbo stuff looks even worse.  Further, you have no idea why Bloz is even entertaining the idea of ceramic coating his headers.  You've made the assumption its for thermal management concerns when it could be purely for aesthetic purposes,  If it is for thermal management concerns, your heat shield does nothing for reducing temperatures or making the headers more thermally efficient, it merely insulates the radiated heat from affecting a particular part or area, i.e. delicate wires or electronics. 

As for temperature, its rather pointless to regurgitate the specific thermal properties of any given grade of SS or mild steel in that you have no idea what material he is using and what the wall thickness is.  The most thermally efficient SS is going to be less effective than the lesser performing mild steel if the mild steel has a significantly thicker wall.  As a rather large generalization, there is no argument that SS is more thermally efficient, than said mild steel, BUT......... the problem with SS is that once its hot it acts like a huge heat sink much like a cast iron manifold.  It retains and radiates a significant amount of heat off of it surface.

In 15+ years of dealing with exhaust systems ranging from OE manifolds to 5000HP plus twin turbo shoot out cars I have never heard from anyone that changed from a mild steel exhaust to a SS exhaust and said their under hood temps went down......  On the contrary, guys with mid-engine cars like the earlier mentioned Ferrari F430 and panteras see an IMMEDIATE increase both underhood / cabin temperature from upgrading to SS exhaust....

Edited by CCPcoatingscom

In my experience, Jet Hot Sterling is a cosmetic coating that looks good under normal street use. For racing applications I prefer Swain White Lightening or Jet Hot 2000 in that order.

"Bright Ceramic Coatings" are VERY effective thermal and corrosion barriers that are still used in aerospace turbine applications as they were 25+ years ago when they first came on the scene in automotive applications.  The biggest problem with their use, is it's MIS-USE.  Jet Hot being the biggest offender, most coaters either don't know or don't care about its temperature limitations.  ALL bright ceramics are rated at approx 1000F - 1100F metal temp which translates to about 1300F - 1700F.  That being said places like this routinely coat hot side turbo or supercharged components when these applications are clearly outside of their temperature ranges.  Doing so leads to an almost immediate dulling and continued elevated temps lead to coating failure.  Whereas if they had used the proper high temp ceramics from the start it would be a non issue.

This particular coating can be damaged by tuning scenarios that are too rich or too lean.  So again, unsuspecting customers get a new set of headers, fire up an untuned engine or proceed to the  dyno and promptly smoke teh coating on a new set of headers.  With this p[articular coating tuning should be done before coating.  Better yet, they can use a high temp ceramic rated at 2000F+ and its a none issue....    

Edited by CCPcoatingscom