HybridZ

New Toy: V6 Chevette

palauoriginal

Brings back some fun memories.

A buddy that i went to high school with would always tell the girls that he had a Vette, When they asked what kind of car he had. He would show them the GM key and they would fight over who would go out with him during the school day. Which led to many, in school make-out sessions and so on. Lol 

Man were they mad when he would show him that CheVette, when they would ask him to drive them home from school. Worked for about 3 months. :icon52:  Worked even longer at the town mall, during the weekends.

I guy in my old town had a twin turbo V6 Chevette. The motor was a mashup of different 60 degree V6 parts, and I think he was running 10 second quarter miles (5 or 600HP). Of course it was a stock exterior too. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

Sounds like a hoot! I remember the Hot Rod buildup using the 60 degree V6 which was virtually bolt-in!

I drove a new Chevette for quite some time in the 80's. My favorite was the 84 Diesel. I don't know why, but the Isuzu i-Mark Diesel made a solid 10-15 mpg more than the identical setup in the Chevette Diesel.

I always thought mating a Geo Metro and Buick GEN2 Supercharged engine cradle amidship for a GM-Version SHO-Gun build...

Brings back some fun memories.

A buddy that i went to high school with would always tell the girls that he had a Vette, When they asked what kind of car he had. He would show them the GM key and they would fight over who would go out with him during the school day. Which led to many, in school make-out sessions and so on. Lol 

Man were they mad when he would show him that CheVette, when they would ask him to drive them home from school. Worked for about 3 months. :icon52:  Worked even longer at the town mall, during the weekends.

My line was "I drive an air-cooled, turbocharged, rear-engined two-door"!

Porsche entered their minds...and invariably they asked "is this a Porsche?" Naw, it's a 66 Corvair Corsa Turbo!

Drove it around today, I got it smogged and what not.

Impressions from actually driving it around: 1. The suspension is super soft. Its probably from added weight on the nose or something but i feel like its going to bottom out under braking. 2 Brakes. Barely anything happens when I hit the brakes. 3. The V6 feels like its shaking the car apart above 4k rpm. Redline is 4.5krpm. (lol) Maybe a motor mount. 

Some foot work is definitely the first upgrade on this thing. 

Stop playing with it and do an SR20 swap. VG-T swap it. Or keep it G.M. and 3.8l supercharged. :icon52:

Then spend 10grand on it, tinting the windows. Lol  Forgot how much glass they had.

Im still smiling remembering high school times with my buddies Vette, Im still friends with him, 32 years now.

We talked for a couple of hours last week, just about that damn car. And yeah im old now. 

Thanks for posting the pics of your Sleeper.

Edited by dexter72

• 2 weeks later...

Got some new wheels. I still have the monza rims that came with it, but these came with brand new tires. 

IMG_20140225_155445309_HDR.jpg

The seller was telling me about how the v6 had something on it before he bought it and he said that he would contact the original builder to get a pic. He delivered. Anyone know what kit this is? 

oldchevette.jpg

Edited by palauoriginal

• 3 months later...

Went to the Drag strip last month. It was my frist drag event ever. It was $5 Fridays at Top Gun Raceway in Nevada.

The Chevette was confirmed for slow, she ran in the low 17's all night. I still need to tune my carb, change my plugs and work on my launch. But hey, I had a blast! B)

stage1.jpg

stage1b.jpeg

img_20140516_235959078.jpg

Edited by palauoriginal