HybridZ

New IRS option

Just looked at Art Morrison site, have a new multi link IRS in various widths. Have not received a response as far as price, hoping for the best. Might be a good substitute for trying to modify a Cobra or Corvette setup.
http://artmorrison.com/homepage2.php
If link does not work, goggle it.

Edited by RB26powered74zcar

It looks like a nice part. The ad copy packed with tons of hype and half truths but I'm sure the product is decent.  There is no such thing as a universal suspension system but as long as it doesn't have any "bad habits" it's probably a nice upgrade from a solid rear axle. Chances are it's not a huge improvement over stock S30 stuff for street use but it's definitely more adjustable and stronger and more interesting to some. I would guess it's $8000+ considering what other hotrod rear IFS systems go for.

Personally I would rather take a $500 used rear IFS setup and modify it to suit the particular needs of the car I'm building and use the extra money elsewhere. It's more work but it's more rewarding if your so inclined to learn about suspension geometry and apply it to your car.

I am going to totally disagree with your logic. As far as being better than stock for street use, come on, being adjustable and stronger is a HUGE improvement. Off the shelf parts from Corvette(I think it is Corvette based), tons of options on brakes(even a e-brake, go figure),gears, axles... how is that not good. Ya, the price is probable going to be steep(have not heard back yet), but go ask 'SUNNY' or anybody else going at it on their own how much they spent.

You might be able to produce a good IRS on your own 'for fun', but unless you have the tools/time/brains, this could be a option for someone. For me, paying a shop 100+/hr to modify something is money I would rather spend on other projects.

Don't get me wrong having a one-off custom IRS is totally cool, but very few of us have the capabilities to do it. I am hoping this will allow for the suspension upgrade/fat tires I want without the mandatory flairs.

I'm not sure what you disagree with since we are both saying that the AM unit looks like a good option, mechanically. I was just saying that there are other options and used my personal decision to illustrate that. This site isn't really full of people putting 8-13k dollar rear suspensions under their car so it seemed logical to point out other options. Sorry if I came across as being negative.

I build this stuff for a living and I know exactly what it costs for custom work. My Z has a cheap ($400ish), modern multilink rear I modified and it will have big brakes, decent geometry, low unsprung weight and plenty of strength for my application for about a 10th of the cost of the AM unit (about $1500 with custom axles, calipers, rotors and bushings) and thousands less than modifying the OE stuff.  That works for ME. Everyones situation and needs are different so there nothing to disagree with. That's just how it is.

Have you looked at any Heidts stuff? It's likely not as light or sexy as the AM unit but the rear suspensions start around 7k. I'll drop ship one right to your door at a killer price just to show good will. Or if you want to get your car up here I can get a used Cobra, Nissan, whatever subframed multilink rear end under your Z for 2-3k install labor at 60/hr as long as the ride height isn't crazy low. (it would be more work to mount the subframe up high for a low stance).

It was not taken as a negative remark. You are coming from a fabricator's pov, most of us are wan-a-be's. I completely

agree that 14k is to expensive for that. Still will wait for final judgment until Morrison gets back to me with a solid

price. There are a few options I am looking at so we will see what happens. One of the main issues I have found with

changing the suspension is the narrow track of the car. Modern cars all seem to have a much wider one and a cut/paste replacement is not out there. I do not mind cutting the whole floor out of the car, just do not like the look of

bolt on flares to cover fat tires. A big plus for the Morrison's stuff....it is made of mainly production parts that are easy to replace(as needed).

Thanks for the offer, it has been very hard to find a shop interested/capable in working on the old girl.

Ya, I can here people saying 'just put a narrowed 8.8 solid axle in there, it's cheap/easy'....that would be one of the options.

It was not taken as a negative remark. You are coming from a fabricator's pov, most of us are wan-a-be's. I completelyagree that 14k is to expensive for that. Still will wait for final judgment until Morrison gets back to me with a solidprice. There are a few options I am looking at so we will see what happens. One of the main issues I have found withchanging the suspension is the narrow track of the car. Modern cars all seem to have a much wider one and a cut/paste replacement is not out there. I do not mind cutting the whole floor out of the car, just do not like the look ofbolt on flares to cover fat tires. A big plus for the Morrison's stuff....it is made of mainly production parts that are easy to replace(as needed).Thanks for the offer, it has been very hard to find a shop interested/capable in working on the old girl.Ya, I can here people saying 'just put a narrowed 8.8 solid axle in there, it's cheap/easy'....that would be one of the options.

Well for the prices you are talking, you can get some very nice welded in flares (more like custom body sculpting) like some German or Italian cars use to cover those fat tires and keep a good track.

Then again, if i had ten grand or more to crap out on rear IRS like that I would go ahead and get a factory five type 65 coupe since that's kinda what you are moving towards anyway.

Edited by WizardBlack

Heard Back from AM.:

Having trouble downloading actual quote but there are the high points;

Center section is a Strange Engineering Dana 60, (Not spindles) but the knuckle

is a modified 2010 and up Camaro, The axles are from The Drive Shaft Shop, 1000 HP units

Prices:

basic irs- 10,416

jri alu. non adj. coilovers- 280/side, 560 total

2.5" by 10", 400lb spr.- 55/side, 110 total

gm 12.4" calipers/rotors- 400

gear ratios 3.54 to 4.56- included

Wilwood 14.25 brakes w4a- 1755

Basically 11500 without the wildwood upgrade.

It is still very expensive.

Something to consider if looking for a replacement IRS, if not, talk to mr. wizard and try to get a group buy on a Factory Five car...

B&G

Well, Mr. Wizard's remark gave me an idea....looked on the factory 5 site and they sell a IRS at 54" width.

You need to buy the 8.8, spindles and brakes. Some assembly required, but bolt on stuff.

I do not have access to my car at the moment and have a had a hard time finding the brake to brake measurement('78)

54" seems close. Shocks are a Koni c/o's. Looks decent, not as flashy as AM.

I did investigate the cost of the Dana 60 in the AM kit....4 grand+. I will ask if they will offer it with a 8.8 or empty.

https://www.factoryfive.com

Pin Drive IRS: $2,399.00

SKU: #15300

Shipping: $230.00 (Fixed shipping cost)

Product Description

Our independent rear suspension is the for the person who needs the absolute top of the line performance and ride from his Factory Five car. The kit comes with the IRS cage, shocks, upper and lower control arms, shorter half shafts, and all hardware. If ordered with a kit we weld in all the mounts so it is ready to assemble and shipping is free, but many people have retrofitted this kit into their solid axle cars. It will work on all Mark I, II, and III cars. The center section, CV joints, hubs, brakes, and spindles are all from the extremely common late 80's to mid 90's Ford products listed below. This IRS is pin drive (54.25") width for authentic knock-off wheels that we sell..

Applications

-Factory Five Roadster, Coupe, Spyder, Challenge Racer.

Donor Vehicles

1989-1997 Thunderbird Super Coupe (All Posi-traction)

1992-1997 Thunderbird V-8 models with rear disc brakes (some posi-traction)

1992-1997 Lincoln Mark VIII (All aluminum carrier, most non-posi-traction)

1989-1992 Mercury Cougar XR-7, supercharged V-6 (All posi-traction)

1993-1997 Mercury Cougar V-8 with rear disc brakes (some posi-traction), after 94 all Cougars were called XR-7’s

Non donor parts needed

Mustang Quad shocks –Aftermarket KYB shock usually interfere with tires.

½†Lug nuts (T-bird lugs are metric)

Note: Factory Five Racing does NOT approve the use of aftermarket IRS quick alignment adjusters.

Click here to download the installation instructions as a PDF