HybridZ

ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION

konradlip

1) How often to change oil on an autocross car that really only gets driven at autocrosses (6 minutes a month)?

2) How often to change oil on a low-compression, pump-gas drag car (30 passes a month)?

What I have been doing, is changing the oil and filter each spring (before the season starts) whether it needs it or not.  It usually has some color in it by then.  Car gets most of its mileage (or hours) from April to October, then it is on jack stands all winter.  Any real reason to change it more often than that? 

I would use a high quality oil, and change it in the fall so the internal engine components are coated with fresh oil. Once a year.

I ran Brad Penn for a while as well, until I saw this white paper stating that it was not compatible with E85:

http://www.penngrade1.com/CMSFiles/File/March%202011_E85_TECH_LETTER_BRAD_PENN.pdf

I didn't observe the issues outlined in the paper, but this made me decide to switch anyway.  Too bad, since I found a local distributor that bought it in bulk for a really good price.

Also tried the Valvoline NSL synthetic for higher zinc content, but am now back to synthetic VR1 10w30 as it is only slightly lower in ZDDP than NSL and is MUCH easier to find.  No issues.

Yep, saw that too. I change my oil often so I am not worried about it.