HybridZ

Need Car Security Suggestions

Hey guys, I wasn't sure what section to post this in but I think it's a good topic that should be discussed, and that is the security of our cars. Living in Northern CA I am seeing S30's going missing all the time and I am asking you guys for suggestions on either A) a way to track a car if it gets stolen other than a lowjack or monthly service fee gps tracker, or a creative way to disable the car mechanically, like a hidden fuel pump switch/ignition switch, but something that more creative that a potential thief is not going to be looking for. Any ideas would be appreciated!

To me if you want to track a car you would need some type of device in it. Anything from a used cell phone, to a do it yourself tracker you hide in the car. I know there are cell phone apps that can track that phone anywhere. A friend will text his wife asking why she is in the house or outside in the yard.

I work as a tech at a car dealership and we have to install a tracker in some of our used cars, for customers who don't have good credit.

I like the quick disconnect steering wheel also.

For me, some type of tracker still has to be the best way to find a missing car quickly. Noticed that our older cars are stripped out or burned out.

To prevent your car from being driven away the rotor removal is probably one of the best options, everything looks stock, but car won't turn over. Another good option is the fuel pump kill switch. Those will only stop someone from driving away with your car. 

From what I have been seeing, the trend now is to just tow the car up a flatbed and drive away. Not much you can do to stop that other than parking in a way they can't access your tow points or something of that nature. The old cell phone/pay as you go cell phone hack seems to be a pretty good way to go about tracking the car. Granted if someone is in the business of taking cars, I am not sure how long it would be before they would find the setup.

Being an old car they are not the hardest thing in the world to start. I had to hotwire my car for a while when my friend broke my door key off in the ignition barrel. Took me maybe 15 minutes from the time he broke it to figure out how to do it, and it made me really sad when I figured out how easy it was, and a determined thief will find some unkind ways to get through the steering lock.

The best way to keep your car from being taken is to park it in a safe spot. Inside a locked garage, in a storage locker, in a monitored garage etc.

Wow, the corvette video is amazing how quick that is.

I agree with the cut-off for the fuel pump, other than that there probably isn't much else to do.

However, I'm surprised that these cars are stolen. For one, there isn't that many out there anymore hence it would be easier to track down if sold for parts. Also since there aren't that many, those with the cars probably aren't stealing other cars for parts.

.... at least that is my thoughts anyway. Mine stays fairly close at most all times. But I haven't really driven yet much either.

Having a good alarm system is about the best you're going to do. If the bad guys want your car they're going to take it.  A decent alarm will have proximity and or incline sensors along with ignition and fuel pump lockouts.  You can't rely on the ignition key to protect your car. When they stole my old 280Z, they jammed a flatblade screwdriver in, rapped it with a hammer and gave it a turn to start it right up. Easy...  The doors are easy to slim-jim. so aftermarket, is really all you have to protect yourself.  You could use a Rotor lock like many motorcyles, but that won't help vs a flatbed. Having an alarm to slow the bad guys down or to notify you that your car is being jacked is the best way.  There are GPS units that you can install with your alarm that will assist you in locating your car, should it be taken.  Talk to a REPUTABLE alarm install company, they should be able to hook you up.

Is there any device (aftermarket push to start or etc.) that lets the Z retain its steering lock feature? The locking pin is on the ignition switch itself and is 100 [percent mechanical. An actuator and relay could make it electronically controlled but that requires a lot of fabrication.