HybridZ

Rear Main Seal Size?

Never2BeFinished

Hello HybridZ,

I have been in the process of rebuilding an L28 engine with mild cam i picked up for $250 with a 5 speed. The block is a F54 with N47 head and has P79 pistons. 

The previous owner said "it only needs new valve seals to run right"...

So I hot tanked the block, installed new rings, valve seals, some bolts here and there, all gaskets, and seals...and some more parts (cant remember at the moment: nothing major though)

Now that i am assembling the new engine, the rear main seal is of incorrect size. I originally ordered an aftermarket one off motorsport auto, but it does not match the one out of the block. I took it back, and tried my luck with black dragon's rear main seal...but that did not work either. So i spent all of today scouring the internet for the origin of this seal from my block.

The original seal is labeled "NDK - angus", as well as "SGL2 80 100 13 si". Even searching the measurements did nothing for me.

The guy who helped me at motorsport auto (i forget his name unfortunately) told me that all L6 motors from L24 through L28 turbo blocks use the size they offer, but it does not seem to fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures shortly.

- Wes

but it does not seem to fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures shortly.

- Wes

How does it not fit?  Inside or outside diameter.

You don't need to go to a specialty shop for the seal.  Your local auto parts store or RockAuto.com will have it.  Cheaper too.

It's a press fit anyway so width doesn't really matter.  The sealing surfaces are the outer and inner circumferences.  Make sure the inner seal is riding on smooth steel, lubricate the inner and outer contact surfaces and press it in til it's flush.  Make sure it's firmly set in place when you're done.  I've only done a couple, others might have some tricks to make it easier and guarantee a good seal.  The skinnier seal will probably be more prone to get cocked when installing so a tool, like a piece of big PVC pipe might help in driving it in square.