HybridZ

p90 coolant passage

Two questuons:

I was wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of some sort of the coolant passage for the internals of a P90 head, or of any 280z or zx head.

Also, would the P90 head have the same coolant passage in comparison to any other L heads?

Keep in mind that I'm referring to the internal coolant flow in the heads.

I have an idea in mind and am wanting to experiment with these heads because I would like to do some custom work on them. Possibly redesign the head if possible...

I have found a couple forums that is similar to what I'm asking for but not exactly. Kinda like this one: http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/115160-l6-cooling-system-diagrams/

Any info would help

Thanks

You could buy a P90 head and have it radialogically mapped so that you'd know for certain all the thicknesses and pathways for the water.  It wouldn't be cheap, but then you'd know for certain what you'd have, especially since there's no proof that there were no changes in the p90 head between different production runs. Note that there are P90 heads and P90a heads...

Check the head-cooling thread and you'll find pictures of some heads that have been sliced open.  My impression is that there are not really passages designed for flow but just big open areas between the tops of the cylinders and the valve train support and valve guides and the outer walls of the heads.  It's part of the cooling problem, the coolant's easiest flow path back to the thermostat area leaves areas of low flow.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/59029-head-cooling-on-cylinder-5-solutions/

Read up on how cylinder heads are designed. Keep in mind these heads are pre computer design era, so flow paths will be simple based on manufacting and the casting process. Understanding that and the photos on this sight in the cooling thread and cylinder head porting threads will allow you to make educated guesses at what's inside. Or cut one open.