HybridZ

L28et Swap

HarveyZ

I am in the process of swapping an 81 l28et motor and 5 speed trans into my 74 260. I do not have a wiring harness but I plan on going megasquirt anyways. Also plan on going with a t3/t4 turbo and intercooler kit. I was needing some advice on what injectors to go with, I have been thinking about going with the 86-92 supra 440cc injectors and a pallnet fuel rail. Would this be a good combo for this turbo setup? Also If I go with this combo will I need an aftermarket fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator??

Hopefully I can get some good advice through out this swap, I am still fairly unfamiliar with the L series and have been searching and reading up on L swap info like crazy

Im going to say Yes on the fuel injectors, you just have to make sure your megasquirt settings are correct for those injectors. They are low impedence injectors. If im not mistaken you will need resistors for those low impedence injectors also. All the info can be found on this site and the Megamanual, YOUR Megasquirt BIBLE. I recommend you read it many times, then read it again.

Your 81 turbo engine should have a sensor on the front of it and the distributor and dist/oil pump drive spindle, are different then the 82-83 turbo engines. Keep this in mind with any wiring or wiring diagrams that you look at.

I don't have an aftermarket fuel pump on my turbo setup, a stock one has worked with no issues, others can chime in about that.

Yes, an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator is a good thing.

Yea, I'm still in the middle of reading the megamanual. I know I'll have to have some advice here and there on the megasquirt but for the most part it seems fairly straight forward. I don't have any crazy power goals for the car, would like to eventually be around 350 or so. I have a deal on some 440cc supra injectors and they come with the resistors for under 150. Definitely going to check into seeing if I even need the resistors tho. Also, Palauoriganal, what walbro pump do you have?

ok, thanks NewZed, Does anyone know if I can run the stock fuel pump and injectors with a t3/t4. Like I said, im not looking for anything crazy until a few years down the road. I would like to run around 10psi if that would work on the stock fuel system...

T3/T4 turbo is a vague description. What trim,AR and wheel do you plan on using? A 60 trim will flow much more than a 46 trim and depending on the AR, boost will come on at different rpm ranges. 10psi on a 46trim is no where near the horse power of a 10psi on a 60trim. You have to look at the flow charts to see what matches your setup. 

Edited by grillhands

More than likely going with a 48 trim. I don't have any intentions of hitting the 300 mark anytime soon. Just wanting a good set up to build around over the years. As I stated tho, I'm still new to the l series. Definitely going to be needing all the helpful info and research I can get

a 50trim works well with displacement up to 2.4L. If you plan on only running 10psi you should be fine. It s when you run more like mid 20s you'll notice the 50trim will run out of breath. You will also be creating more heat. I had a 46 trim on a 1.8t running 28 psi. It was fun but the 46 was under sized for the power I wanted. I could've got the same power at like 15 psi on a gt30. Remember hp doesn't snap rods the torque does.

You should use the Supra 440 injectors with a t3/t4 and megasquirt, I am still using my stock fuel pump with my 450cc-460cc mazda rx7 injectors. The supra injectors pop right into a pallnet style, o-ring fuel rail. Buy new o-rings for the injectors.

Edited by dexter72

Yea, I am finally set on thate injectorand turbo set up. The main thing I an looking into now and kinda stuck on is what ignition set up to use. I would like to go distributorless (previous setup on this motor was distributorless so currently doesn't have a distributor) and an needing help on what options I have. I have looked into the Ford coil system but haven't found too much info on it yet. If anyone has any info or a link it would be greatly appreciated. Also Dexter72, how was your experience setting up the megasquirt...