HybridZ

Help choosing gear ratios please!

Does shifter location mean anything to you? You are clearly missing my point.

Easy there E-thug. Note above i said I was missing your point.

It sits 2.5" forward of the T56, IIRC, that wouldn't be a problem because with the JCI mounts in my 280 I had to trim the back edge of the shifter hole in the floor about .5".

2hmo4s8.jpg

It would be worth the "master fabrication" to get a magnum over a standard t56, if you have the scratch.

Edited by SUNNY Z

I'd go ahead and spend the "extra scratch" to get one that fits in the first place. Or maybe the magnum will be a perfect fit. But who knows? Just listen to Sunny Z. He'll get you pointed in the right direction with his vague answers to your questions. lol

Looks like it might fit. Roll the dice.

Edited by WarlordZ

Thanks to everyone for the help. It means a lot and will help my project get moving forward.

About the shifter location, it says there are multiple setups for the shifter location, will any of these solve this issue we are talking about.

Everyone is quoting me the same price at $2995, problem is I have to ship it across the boarder and with shipping, taxes and duty there's going to be another $900-1100 just to get it here.

I'm going to check the prices straight from

GM because of the free freight, it may work in my favor.

Like I said earlier, I'm going this direction because I have no local T56's available to me. Also like what was already said you never know what you're going to end up with from a pull.

One more thing, if anybody has an r230 and the axles and whatever else I need for sale I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks again guys!

I'd go ahead and spend the "extra scratch" to get one that fits in the first place. Or maybe the magnum will be a perfect fit. But who knows? Just listen to Sunny Z. He'll get you pointed in the right direction with his vague answers to your questions. lol

Looks like it might fit. Roll the dice.

I do love a gamble.

Tremec makes a number of different offsets handles.  This article gives part numbers for offset links are available.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/drivetrain/mdmp_1008_tremec_t56_magnum_six_speed_manual_gearbox/

Hurst Blackjack, McLeod, Qwik Shift, Street and Performance plus many others make offset shifters.

If you want to save some $$ it is pretty easy to weld a dog leg on the shifter handle.  I fit a TKO in my zed with one I made myself.  Bought a new trans back in 2006 for the same reason you don't want to buy a used 02 T56.  The early transmissions had issues.  If you get one that hasn't been rebuilt then sure as hell you had better budget for a rebuild.  They greatly improved the transmissions through the years, with the magnum being a quantum leap over even the later models.

offset-long-2.jpg

Google search images for "remote shifter." When I was at the races a few weeks ago, I saw lots of modified cars that had remoted their shifter handle for improved ergonomics. Pretty simple modification and I think you can effectively shorten the action of the shifter at the same time. BUT, I don't know if you will have trouble getting your top-loader style linkage around the fusebox and the console. Certainly if you are willing to relocated the fuse box and run without a console, a remote shifter would be a no-brainer.

I bought my Magnum TR6060 from Tick performance for $4,699.99. That included the conversion to fit an Fbody Camaro as well as powder coating the case and upgrading the trasnmission to handle 900RWTQ. I have attached some pictures.

well lord

I was planning on sticking with the stock gauges. I thought I read somewhere that the new t56 magnum you could use either electronic or manual for speedo. Maybe I misunderstood.

So ideally, the transmission if like to get my hands on is a '98-'02 f-body t56. Am I right in thinking this?

Just unfortunately for me I live in the middle of nowhere and haven't been able to locate one :(

Stock Gauges - fuel gauge no issue., oil pressure gauge - JCI makes an adapter that allows mounting a stock nissan oil pressure sender by the LS oil filter. Water temp gauge - same deal. Tachometer-several places, including JCI can modify your tach to take the LS input. Speedometer - You either need a tranny with a mechanical output to drive the cable that normally drives the Z speedometer or you need to get a CableX box that takes the electronic output from the tranny and then sends a signal to a small electric motor that drives the speedometer cable.  I've had the latter in my car working successfully for 10 years now.  It also allows you to adjust for different gear ratios in your drive train. 

If you need a T56 do a google search.  Lots of them out there for between $2300 & $2500.  Some are used, some are rebuilt.  New ones will cost more.  Mine is a rebuilt '99 and is still doing fine - but then I'm only running about 370 HP.

Comment about droning with the .50 overdrive on the T-56.  Wonder what differential ratio he has.  I have a 3.70 R200 LSD and have never had a drone.  I've run as slow as 50 in 6th which is about 1,250 RPM.

Yes a 98-02 F-body T56 will work but one from an 04-06 GTO will also work.

Edited by Phantom

• 3 weeks later...

The oil pressure adapter doesn't work down there. I had to put it at the rear of the intake where gm had it anyways.

Really? I have the GM sending unit in the stock location feeding info to the ECU and the Datsun sender at the oil filter area sending to my stock oil pressure gauge. Had to replace the sender last summer as it finally failed but it's been working there successfully for 10 years.

B5BiTurbo - the stock T56 used with the LS1's is good fro about 450 ft-lbs of torque which is also pretty much the limit of a stock R200.. If you're developing more than that and running really sticky tires then you'll need to upgrade to the R230 and the T-56 Magnum. More HP & Torque = $$$

To clear it up, the drone in 5/6 is from the 5/6 gear fluttering on the main shaft.  I was having it at around 70MPH or ~1700RPM.

To fix, you have to pull the mainshaft and have it machined to spec. This makes a very tight fit for the 5/6 gear, and eliminates the vibration. 

I had to do this on my last trans, and it fixed it.

Edited by SUNNY Z

Well, I'm using JTR headers if that makes a difference, and they hit the sending unit down there, or maybe it hit the block, I can't remember now. I just moved it to the top. Easier to replace in the future in that location anyways, I suppose.