HybridZ

The most frustrating SDS install ever due to trigger wire from OEM ignition module

K. Daniels

I seldom post, but I thought I would share my experience because it may help out one of you in the future...

Background: I own a 74 Datsun 260z with a L28ET motor. I purchased the SDS EM-5 E/MSD  to replace the stock 82 turbo ECU and wiring because I could not adjust the fuel management system enough to stop the gray smoke from my exhaust. I purchased two (used)  and one new crane HI-6S ignition systems because I thought the first two were faulty. The setup took me maybe a weekend but the troubleshooting lasted two months. After months of going over both SDS and Crane install I determined that by disconnecting the trigger wire from the OEM ignition module to the white wire on the crane system that my vehicle would start. The reason this has been the most frustrating install ever is because the crane installation manual doesn't even list this as a possible configuration option. I included a modified diagram of my setup and the original crane diagram for ease of explanation.

post-30747-0-71521600-1393623535_thumb.pngpost-30747-0-02229200-1393623554_thumb.png

Good job. Maybe posting earlier for help would have saved you a month or so!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

Agreed  :icon10:

BTW, you don't need the Crane red wire connected to both the ignition switch AND the black/white wire that used to connect to the positive terminal on the coil. In effect, you're connecting to the same wire in two different places.

Nigel

Honestly, I figured if someone had experienced the same issue, it would have been discussed in the SDS forum. Further, I know there are specific anomalies between the 240z, 260z, and 280z. However, If anybody can elaborate on why the crane ignition system doesn't require the trigger from the OEM electronic ignition module, then I would appreciate your insight.

Nigel, the reason I connected both wires is because the crane installation manual states to cut and connect any wire that was originally connected to the coil. Although I did not share this information previously, I referenced another datsun diagram to determine which wires to attach.

post-30747-0-65978600-1393677149_thumb.png

This isn't an SDS issue, which is why you found no mention of it in that forum. Like most people, you're trying to follow lines on a diagram without understanding what they do. That's not a criticism. Most people just don't have an understanding of electricity. The reason why the circuit didn't work is because Crane assumes that the ignition module contains the transistor that switches on and off to ground to provide the ignition timing pulse. The transistor is a separate, external device on the Z, which you've now connected to. I could go into more detail, but I don't have time at the moment.

Nigel

Glad you got it figured out, the most frustrating thing of course is the engine not running after this type of install.

I had a similar no engine running issue, after a stand alone install. I figured 2-3 weeks tops, start to finish. Took 6 weeks, between family time, waiting on parts, and figuring out why i had No Spark.

Edited by dexter72