HybridZ

280z Project

Hey guys this is my first post here, i am planning on picking up a 280z by Saturday or so. It is going to be my first car/project. It has very minimal rust, but the clutch has gone out. Thats why im gettiing a good price on it ($800) and i plan on putting some mods on it until im 16 as of now im 15. I want to put light mods on it, what do you recommend? Oh, and should i get a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch?

I just replaced my clutch last year with a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.  It is supposed to be good for 300hp but it's still a very easy clutch to use.  I would definitely recommend it.

As far as mods go, it all depends on what you want.  Looks?  Power?  Handling?  Do you just want a street car?  track car?  show car?  drag car?  It's really hard to suggest things because people do vastly different things with these cars.

Edited by WRC17

To add to what I said above, first just replace all the things to just keep the car going.  Right now you say it just needs a clutch, but I guarantee you will find more.  Check the brakes, electrical, bushings (anything rubber really), suspension, tires, etc.  Once the car is running reliably, then start looking at modifying it.

Spend a lot of time researching on this site.  Look at drivetrain options, suspension options, braking options.  Put together a plan that will allow you to do it in an order that won't have you spending money on things you're going to throw away later - like a stage 2 clutch if you think you might do a change to a higher output engine that the clutch wouldn't handle or fit.  Be smart and make your money go as far as possible.  Consider the posts that guys make and evaluate their thought process.  We all have different goals for our cars and some are much better at executing a project than others. Find out who wants a similar set-up on the car and thinks things through clearly and then ask them a lot of questions,