HybridZ

triple 40 webers...best head to run with?

Guest DATTO

I don't know about that DAW, I have always heard to shim the springs too.

That mod is a good one too. I just have never went thru the trouble of tracking down the longer valves.

I would have to do that to run the reground cam I picked up. Man that thing is ground below the shaft. I have room with the crower I have right now.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The valve spring is installed at a particular height with the valve on the seat. Modifying the valvetrain has nothing to do with the spring. A valve job, cutting new spring pockets or installing a special spring with a required height might need shimming. One of the problems with having a general machine shop do an L series head is they aren't very careful with stem installed heights. Very important on the L head unlike a small block chevy where you can just shim the spring for correct installed height.

Oops. When the valves/springs are in their original heads they don't need any special shimming (other than whatever it takes to put them at spec installed ht with valve grinding); but when you put the longer valve into the short valve head, naturally it'll have to be shimmed by the difference in length of the valve (and then whatever shimming adjustments need to be done from any valve work). I should have gotten some sleep instead of writing that drivel. DAW

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Ok so since I need a new head on my L24 anyway, I'm thinkin about grabbing an 810's L24E n47 head.

Aside from putting the 44mm intake valves in, it should essentially be a bolt on for the existing e88 (not sure what the cc volume of this e88 is but I suspect it's one of the later crappy ones, as the car seemed less powerful after I replaced my other original e88 due toe a crack that wasn't repairable.)

Does anybody know the actual CC volume on the L24E's N47? If it's roughly the same as an E31 or early E88 that's great with me. I've looked high and low and can't find a figure for the volume.

**Edit** Didn't look high or low enough, found the volume as ~40 CC's for the Max N47.

Also, since I'm trying to do this somewhat on the cheap to get it running again for the time being, which head do I want to get the intake valves from (out of n42, 280's n47 or a p79/p90 since it's been suggested this head's basically an L24 sized p90.) I can , measure the valves at the junkyard with a caliper but getting to the point of being able to pull the valves to measure is obviously pretty time consuming even when your'e just tearing things up without much concern about breaking hoses and whatnot. I.E. if I gotta pull heads to measure I will but I'd really rather just know upfront.

**Edit** Found it, N42 Valve

So if anyone could let me know within the next 11 hours that'd be great, (half price day at the junkyard starting at 6:30am tomorrow) And considering heads are only 45 bucks to begin with, a 20 dollar cyl head is a good deal.

**Edit** Well I've answered all this, kinda strange looked for this the other day and couldn't find squat. (Google's about worthless too in the quest for N47 info for the max N47)

Hopefully I can pickup a Taurus fan and that nice little 4.11 R200 I saw too today while I was scouting it out. Ok I confess, I pulled the 4.11 R200 and hid it till tomorrow because for 20 bucks and change how can I pass that up? (Gonna be ticked if someone finds it and either moves it or buys it after I went to the trouble of pulling it too. (and yes, I checked the ring gear it's a 37:9 which is definitely a 4.11 in my calculator's book) Pair of Toyota 4x4 calipers too I think I'll pick up, it was a goldmine for once and the sad thing is here were only about 4 z's in the whole place 2x 280's, 2x 280zx's.

Also another completely tangential gripe, found some cool rims on a 280zx, sort of a modular looking 10 or 12 spoke wheel with rather blocky spokes in 15x7's All in perfect shape except... There's only 3 of em, why is it every damn junkyard I visit, any cars with cool wheels in good shape are invariably missing one? I looked all over for the missing one too, no luck.