HybridZ

DIY QTR FLARES

parman

I wanted to flare the qtrs but didn't want to cut them and wanted a one off type flare.  I started messing a round with some rolled metal, probably around 12 gauge or so.  I tacked them   around the wheel house then strongly panel bonded them in.I then use a fiberglass resin to work it out more before working my bondo. I have very little bondo on them mainly just for my final shaping. then a coat of poly, these are ready for primer. I am very happy with the result and I now I can run a little more meat in the back...these are very strong.I think I could hang from them.  I have some good pics that I can't post   help!!!

Sure looks good, my only comment (similar to above) is that with the large lip, you wouldn't really be able to tuck a wider tire in the well versus a a stock unrolled fender. I'm not sure how exactly you've constructed those, but I presume there's a solid bit of fiberglass creating the radius between the wheel arch and the fender sheet metal? if you could find a way to open it up you would get a lot more functionality with this modification. 

You could always make a mold if your flare and recreate it from fiberglass, then trim the sheet metal and bond it on. Is there a reason you state in your first post you wanted to avoid cutting the quarters? 

I guess what I am trying to accomplish is just wanting to have a little wider tire without sticking out of the top of the qtr arch.  The good thing is, I can test fit my tires before paint and if it is not what I want I can take them off and go another route.  I did not make the  lip any wider to the inside. I will try to post some pics with the tires I have now .

You'll need to cut more than the stock lip and then build a space for the tire to move up and down in without hitting anything. It's possible to fit a VERY slightly wider tire by rolling the fender lip, but making the arch wider won't change the position of the inner lip, which is where the interference is. 

Even guys who go with larger flares screw this up. A lot of people who install ZG flares cut just the lip of the fender off and then bolt the flare onto the body. Even though the flare adds 2" to the width of the quarter, it doesn't allow room for the tire to move. I just picked this pic up off of Facebook a couple days ago, shows the problem more clearly (although I think they posted it as a desirable end result). I would imagine that your reprofiled lip would just about cover this tire, but it clearly won't allow for suspension travel.

post-553-0-64062500-1394722706_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

I'm always amazed at the crap the hellaflush crowd is willing to drag down the street. In my modest world, only zero tire rub is acceptable.

Note to original poster:  that was a comment about JMortensen's photo he offered for our consideration.  I think your flares are neat.  But, like everybody says, I'm eager to see how much more tire clearance they actually offer.  Hopefully enough for what you want, that is all that really matters.

Edited by RebekahsZ

My friend bought a 260 a few years ago where the PO did something similar. They took something like 1/4 rod or tube and bent it in the shape of the outside of the flare and just fiberglassed from it to the body without removing any of the fender lip. It looked ok if that's what you're in to, but was a mess to try to get off.

Thanks for all of the tips. I don't plan on taking them off. I could and yes it would be a job, but no more than putting them on. This is what I do. Fortunately I own a body shop and we have done many on other cars just not on the z. This is my fifth z and I wanted something just a little bit different. I don't need any more travel just a little wider to keep some if the crap from flying on the side of the qtrs. (some). Everyone who has come into my shop have all looked and knew something was different but really couldn't figure it out at first glance. Just a little wider tire and the Arizona Z Car track pack and she will be good to go. If not.... I'll fix it. That what all of us do. Right?