HybridZ

CV half-shaft swaps in 2014 any less expensive alternatives?

gvincent

Print the drawing from #3 and take it and your axle to the machinist.  Replace six holes with four.

Another complication to consider if you do make a thinner adapter - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/54719-cv-adapter-to-cv-shaft-issue-does-not-bolt-down-against-mating-surface/

There's threads everywhere on this topic.

Here's another adapter.  It's six bolt and looks thick.  I wonder if guys are making them thick to get the axle nut to clear the CV end-cap.  More measurements needed.

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/products/billet-280zxt-cv-axle-adapters-27-spline-datsun-240z-260z-280z/

Edited by NewZed

I'm currently leaning towards splurging for the Wolf Creek setup. I generally try to keep things as cheap as possible, but after reading countless threads about people having trouble fitting 280/300ZX axles with MM/CF addapters, it seems worthwhile to spend a few hundred more for the tried and true Wolf Creek setup. The biggest hassle seems to be installing the safety wire.

I'm open to ideas though as I have a pair of turbo and non turbo axles collecting dust. 

Hi Guys

This is the first time I have heard of people having problems with my parts. I always answer my phone and emails.   I have been selling MM parts for 3 years now and Ross for many more before that. If there is a problem I would like to hear from the installer to find out what the problem is.   Thanks   Joe

Print the drawing from #3 and take it and your axle to the machinist.  Replace six holes with four.

Another complication to consider if you do make a thinner adapter - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/54719-cv-adapter-to-cv-shaft-issue-does-not-bolt-down-against-mating-surface/

There's threads everywhere on this topic.

Here's another adapter.  It's six bolt and looks thick.  I wonder if guys are making them thick to get the axle nut to clear the CV end-cap.  More measurements needed.

http://www.whiteheadperformance.com/products/billet-280zxt-cv-axle-adapters-27-spline-datsun-240z-260z-280z/

The picture of the whitehead adapter appears to be a 2 piece part I can see what appears to be discoloration from welding.   Joe

Hi Guys

This is the first time I have heard of people having problems with my parts. I always answer my phone and emails.   I have been selling MM parts for 3 years now and Ross for many more before that. If there is a problem I would like to hear from the installer to find out what the problem is.   Thanks   Joe

I think they're talking about the CV shafts being too long, which you've already accounted for by making the short shafts.

Correct me if I am wrong but off the top of my head the 280ZX are tripod CV joints (fewer ball bearings) than the 280ZXT and the 300ZXT CV joints

the 280ZXT has 6 bolts, 3 sets of 2, the 280ZXT and 300ZCXT have 4 bolts evenly spaced correct?

280 zxt is 4 bolt and the 280x na is 6 bolts.

I have dealt with Joe and can say he always answers and returns calls. He was out of shortrned shafts last week when I snapped one at the local dragstrip. I was n a pinch and had a local friend machine replacement shafts n the correct length in 1 day. they are made from a different material I believe its flexcore?? Which is used a lot in aftermarket CV high hp applications.

These are available fof $350 per pr. He can do a run of 300M shafts which would be bomb proof but would require a larger run due to costs of machining heat treating etc. let me know if anyone is interested.

I have built adapters in the past to install Z31T axles in the 240/280 without short axles and without binding. I have been running a set in my personal car for over 10 years with no problems and I have tubular lower control arms which are narrower than stock. The end of the stub axle needs to be trimmed, as does the CV axle. You need to flip the cage on the CV assy and run a 280zx lock nut on the stub axle. If you are able to accurately operate a hacksaw, you can install these adapters.

To save cost on fabrication, they are constructed on factory adapter flanges. I think I have two or three sets left, but I am in Afghanistan right now so I can't check for a month. I'm not sure how many 240 and 280 sets I have left.

Drop me a PM if interested.

I have built adapters in the past to install Z31T axles in the 240/280 without short axles and without binding. I have been running a set in my personal car for over 10 years with no problems and I have tubular lower control arms which are narrower than stock. The end of the stub axle needs to be trimmed, as does the CV axle. You need to flip the cage on the CV assy and run a 280zx lock nut on the stub axle. If you are able to accurately operate a hacksaw, you can install these adapters.

To save cost on fabrication, they are constructed on factory adapter flanges. I think I have two or three sets left, but I am in Afghanistan right now so I can't check for a month. I'm not sure how many 240 and 280 sets I have left.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Let me know when your back, PM sent i'm interested

Hi Guys

Like JMortensen said, It was the issue with axle length and hit or miss flipping of cages, not the adapters themselves. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Figured it was better to revive an old thread than start a new one.

If someone has a set of the Wolfcreek cv axles, and could verify whether or not the axle length 15 5/8, You would be 4 adapters away from being done with this kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Empi-Chromoly-I-R-S-Spline-Axles/dp/B009NUL3BS

Since the Wolfcreek ad states the cv's are Porsche "type", they are probably vw bus joints. Plenty strong if they are good quality.