HybridZ

Where can I buy a SBF (5.0L) engine swap kit for my 240Z ? ?

JJ West

The vehicle is a no rust, solid 1972 240Z.  We want to install a 1993 5.0L Mustang GT roller engine with Ford 5 speed.  They are cheap to buy, easy to work on, and plentiful. They are also lighter than the Chevy engine of that era, narrower, and with the distributor in front, the engine can be placed further back for better weight distribution. 

What company out there makes a SBF engine swap kit ? ? ? We can't find one. 

Thanks for any help you can give us. JJ

ttodhunter ---Thanks for the lead. The firm was in Arlington which isn't too far away, so between the company name and the address we should have some luck on finding the guy. Even if he doesn't have any kits left, he should still have the engineering drawings which hopefully he will give, sell to, or duplicate for us. The link you also cited was excellent as well, so there's another lead. 

As mentioned earlier, the lighter weight of the Ford, being narrower and with the distributor on the front, it is a much better swap motor than the Chevy, aside from the performance parts being just as cheap and producing the same power. If Scarab hadn't started the Chevy trend, we bet conversions would have gone with Ford, just like the original Cobra.

If we connect with the original kit seller in Arlington and can score a deal on a kit and/or plans, maybe we can do a small production if there's enough interest. More later --- and thanks again. Your help was really appreciated. 

Yeah, it's weird that the link above didn't work.  Brian's site's still there, and so are his prints! 

http://www.lainefamily.com/240Z_V8_Conversion-files/240Z_Conversion_Prints.htm

http://www.lainefamily.com/240Z_V8_Conversion-files/240Z_Conversion_Prints.htm  

For some reason when I insert the link as a hyperlink on the forum, it redirects to some bogus site, when it's just pasted in as text, it recognizes it's a hyperlink and takes you to the right place.....

Edited by yellowoctupus

I enjoy my SBF but I'm not convinced its a better swap all around and I definitely don't think its "just as easy" to get as much power out of it as an SBC... that's dream-land. Lighter weight and better placement is true, though; mine is all the way behind the front axle.

Edited by thedarkie

Yeah, the whole 'no replacement for displacement' is the first kick in the shins for a 302 vs 351.  Similar mods to either engine will get you similar gains %wise. 

I do however believe it's a better swap in engine if for no other reason besides you can tuck it right against the firewall without having to dink around with hood latch relocation work etc.  That and when you say you have a V8 Z EVERYONE assumes it's a Chevy, so it's nice to be able to surprise them.

I sent an email to Brian about the SBF swap kits several weeks ago. Here was his reply..............

Hi Scott -

Sorry that there aren't plans to build another batch.  They were a lot of work to get made, package, round up parts, etc, and for very little profit.

I don't know of anyone else making kits for SBF for Z-cars.

If there's enough interest, I would consider another batch, you're the second inquiry, but I'd like to see quite a few more interested parties to make it worth while.

Regards,

Brian

I've got a local machine shop fabbing up a kit for me based off the plans that are on the website. 
Edited by G14

I sent an email to Brian about the SBF swap kits several weeks ago. Here was his reply..............

Hi Scott -

Sorry that there aren't plans to build another batch.  They were a lot of work to get made, package, round up parts, etc, and for very little profit.

I don't know of anyone else making kits for SBF for Z-cars.

If there's enough interest, I would consider another batch, you're the second inquiry, but I'd like to see quite a few more interested parties to make it worth while.

Regards,

Brian

I've got a local machine shop fabbing up a kit for me based off the plans that are on the website. 

I am interested in a 302 V8 to 280 ZX 1983 conversion. If this kit would work I am definitely interested! Add me to your count. :-)

months ago, before I got my Z; I stumbled across his site.  You should read the entire thing. It's very informative, entertaining, and comical at times.  I like the guy and never met him.   I was disappointed though, to find out yesterday that he was out of kits.   His site was a factor in me finally getting a Z.   If more kits were in avail, I'd buy one.   Otherwise, I will use his plans for the motor mounts.  I'll keep checking back to see if he tools up, as I am gathering parts (engine/trans/etc).  Everyone now seems to be doing LS swaps.  I'd like to stay with the blue oval.

months ago, before I got my Z; I stumbled across his site.  You should read the entire thing. It's very informative, entertaining, and comical at times.  I like the guy and never met him.   I was disappointed though, to find out yesterday that he was out of kits.   His site was a factor in me finally getting a Z.   If more kits were in avail, I'd buy one.   Otherwise, I will use his plans for the motor mounts.  I'll keep checking back to see if he tools up, as I am gathering parts (engine/trans/etc).  Everyone now seems to be doing LS swaps.  I'd like to stay with the blue oval.

Same here. I just can't talk myself into an LS swap. Besides I like the simplicity of the SBF. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I may be selling my engine and trans kit soon.

Keep in mind, it is still in the box so I'd probably look to get most of my money back ( i still have a car to build, also ;)

I'm a Ford guy at heart but I may swing towards the 5.3 for a few different reasons. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What I'm wondering now is would a mod motor fit on those mounts with the early (ie, Mark VIII) style mounts. I have a set that just came off my DOHC when I put the GT mounts back in, and they've got that 'U' + pin style of mounting to the K member like the 5.0 mounts shown in Brian's picture.  Probably a fox body engine swapper guy would know the answer to that one...

• 2 weeks later...