HybridZ

Need Body Damage Advice: Is this a total loss...

JSM

Comparing it to a Titan I had estimated with similar damage was 6-7k worth of damage, when a tree attacked it. Bought it back, fixed most of the damage ourselves, not the prettiest truck, but still haul and tow all the heavy crap I need done when needed.

If the truck is still in good working order and no bent frame, use it as a hauler/beater truck or something the son can't beat up any worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for the boy to get familiar with a bicycle seat.

Dennis

^^^^^^THIS YES!

I hear a lot of parents(not pointing the finger at JSM in any way!) say we'll he's a straight A student in school, never gets in trouble, blah blah blah.....Yeah may be so but he cant friggin DRIVE!!!  Take that into account!!!

Dang.

They are fixing it. Estimate came in at $4500. The deal is now he can drive when he shows me his enlistment papers. I'll sign the truck over into his name and he can pay for his own insurance. I had to pay $800 for two stupid tires the insurance won't cover.

Actually this is his 3rd offense. The first one I self insured at $2500 out of pocket.

I do my best to measure some of his behavior against how I was when I was his age.  Some of the stuff I did was over the top in comparison, I was just lucky. I'm very happy he is not doing drugs and drinking.

He does not like college, living at home or my rules.  He has been given a few options.  Go to college, get a job and pay rent, just get out, or join the service.  We're pushing college on him and paying for everything minus his gas money and entertainment fund.

One of my biggest regrets ever has been video games.  Complete time sucking, nonsense! I traded a super rusty 240z that I paid $80 for a $400 game system.  Funny my dad used to get on me when I was kid too about wasting quarters, but If you don't have money to play, you don't play.

I refused to let video games into my house. One parent from Salt Lake came to me raving about my kid and how neat he was... He says "Man, Nino is such a neat kid! He came up to me with a stick, and said "Hey Terry, look: "A Nature Toy!" -- a STICK, man! He's such a cool kid! I wish I could get Michael to be more like him!"

I remembered that day in the mountains "What do I play with?" Boy, what's that there? "It's a stick." No, boy, that's a "Nature Toy" pick it up and figure out how to have fun with it!

And so he did...

I, being gone so much told him: keep up the house while I'm away. You can stay here as long as you like, if you don't have a job, keep up the house. Go to College, but if you don't, keep up the house. No rent... Just keep up the house and be gainfully engaged in SOMETHING and not just laying around doing nothing.

He ended up leaving to be on his own anyway. I would rather he taken up a military position, but he's working as a hydraulic mechanic, and the company is paying for all his schooling as an Engineer because finding a ydraulic engineer is not easy...

Ironically, in his rebellion to become independent he's mirrored my exact career path. At 22 I was in the USAF, specializing in everything everybody else didn't like, namely Compressors, Hydraulics, and high-end Frequency Converters...

"Luke, I am your father!" LOL

Not a blanket statement by any means, but both my wife and I work with a few in there 20's and we wonder how in the world they survive. There is something missing in today's young adults.

The other day my 16 year old daughter says, this older guy painted his house pink in support of her wife who died of breast cancer. He died not long after and the homeowners association painted the house a normal color. She was like how could they! I looked at her and said please don't vote!

They let their feelings do their thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for some time. Been a father for 11 years now. I let my kids be bold,,, but they pay a heavy price for stupidity. (better now before they get behind the wheel). Children are interesting,, and certainly they are carbon copies of you. BTW, they have no access to net. They have to stretch there creative imagination.

Not a blanket statement by any means, but both my wife and I work with a few in there 20's and we wonder how in the world they survive. There is something missing in today's young adults.

"We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self control."

-Ancient Egyptian tomb inscription

Edited by BLOZ UP