HybridZ

OEM - Factory - 240ZG Overfenders. The truth.

HS30-H

Having seen one too many erroneous and misinformed statements regarding 'replica' / 'copy' / 'knock-off' ( etc ) 240ZG Overfenders, I decided it's time for a reality check.

The Real Thing was well made and fitted the S30-series Z's body properly. They were not inordinately thick ( average thickness was around 4mm ) and they were pliable. They were not in any way "universal" and their contours were shaped to fit the S30 body at the individual side and corner of the car that they were tailored to.

They were not designed to be used with any kind of VW-like 'beading' between the Overfender and bodywork, and they were designed to be Pop-riveted directly to the body.  

The very first factory Overfenders for the S30-series Z were the Nissan Sports / Race Option items designed for the Fairlady Z432-R, and dated from early 1970. The factory 240ZG production items - as seen on the 'HS30-H' Fairlady 240ZG homologation model sold to the general public from October 1971 - were not as wide or as full as the Sport / Race Option 432-R items. They were designed, made and sold to the general public purely to homologate them for legal race use, and this allowed the factory race cars to use even wider overfenders as an evolution of the OEM parts.   

See photos below for comparison between an NOS 432-R Sports / Race Option overfender and an NOS factory 240ZG overfender. Notice the contours of the side that mates to the body of the car. They are not 'flat' and they are not 'universal'. 

76dq.jpg
plur.jpg
bm7u.jpg
x2w6.jpg

Most pictures ive seen of japanese Zs with flares, are just riveted on with no fender welting. Japanese -made fiberglass parts tend to be high quality. Where as copied parts elsewhere, lose a bit of the fitment quality from decades of duplication.

09-1972-Datsun-Fairlady-240ZG.jpg

9tro_031014_052149_dsc_8837.jpg

I got a set of jdmflares.com , and the flares lost alot of that flat mounting surface that the original styles had

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1891191_10152116762463557_101635720_n.jpg

So where did the WIDE version of the ZG flares come from?  Whom makes a GOOD version of these that will fit the body correctly?

They were an aftermarket creation. Nothing to do with OEM, although Nissan had plenty of ( homologated ) race overfenders in various widths available from their Sports / Race Options catalogues.

Marugen Shokai ( again ) make the best quality version of the WIDE ZG-lookalike overfenders, as far as I am aware.

• 2 weeks later...

Why did they even bother with the flares to begin with?  Those wheels are so ridiculously narrow..?

Also, HS30-H - I have been trying to PM you about possibly sourcing a G nose but it appears your inbox is full?

Why did they even bother with the flares to begin with?  Those wheels are so ridiculously narrow..?

Perhaps you don't understand the process pf 'Homologation'? Nobody expected the cars to be raced with "ridiculously narrow" wheels....

Building the 'HS30-H' Fairlady 240ZG model and selling a certain number of them to the general public allowed Nissan - and anybody else - to use the ''Aerodyna Nose' / Grande Nose' and 'Over-Fenders' in the FIA's 'Group 4' racing class and JAF's GT classes. In fact, it also allowed them to use wider over-fenders on the race cars than those attached to the stock 240ZG and opened the way for evolutions of the model ( attached air dams, spoilers, ducts, etc etc ). It was simply a way to legalise the parts they wanted to use for racing.

Here's the JAF / FIA homologation for the 240ZG model:

u6me.jpg

In the spirit of my Obsessive Compulsion, a note about the spelling of 'Marugen Shokai':

I see a lot of people - in fact just about everybody, including the company in question (!) - spelling the word 'Shokai' as Shoukai'. In fact, that's not strictly correct.

You'll see me writing it as 'Marugen Shokai', but I really ought to be writing the word 'Shokai' with a macron over the letter 'o'. Unfortunately it seems that the HybridZ forum software won't allow that particular character ( at least I'm guessing that's the case, as whenever I try to use it and hit and hit the Add Reply button I get a database error message ).

That macron is a diacritic that signifies a double stress on a vowel when Japanese is written in 'Romaji'. Phonetically, you just pronounce a long 'o' sound instead of a short one.

The name of the company in normally written in Kanji. The third and fourth Kanji form the word 'Shokai' ( pronounced 'show-kye' - 'show' as in 'car show' and 'kye' to rhyme with 'sky' ), which translates - in its simplest form - as 'Company'. Think of it as 'Marugen Company' or 'Marugen & Co.' and you are getting the gist of it.

'Shoukai' is a different word entirely. It's most commonly used in connection with introduction. It's not the correct Romaji spelling for a company name.

And breathe.......

Perhaps you don't understand the process pf 'Homologation'? Nobody expected the cars to be raced with "ridiculously narrow" wheels....

Building the 'HS30-H' Fairlady 240ZG model and selling a certain number of them to the general public allowed Nissan - and anybody else - to use the ''Aerodyna Nose' / Grande Nose' and 'Over-Fenders' in the FIA's 'Group 4' racing class and JAF's GT classes. In fact, it also allowed them to use wider over-fenders on the race cars than those attached to the stock 240ZG and opened the way for evolutions of the model ( attached air dams, spoilers, ducts, etc etc ). It was simply a way to legalise the parts they wanted to use for racing.

Here's the JAF / FIA homologation for the 240ZG model:

u6me.jpg

Great post!  Thanks for the reply.  

So the nose and flares had to be offered from the factory to be used in particular race classes but wheels/tires/larger flares didn't matter?

Also, do you know of any OEM G noses or headlight covers for sale at the moment?

Edited by rnye