HybridZ

Polyurethane Airdam questions

yhlz

I would love to get the fiberglass versions of the Type 1 Airdams but there are good deals for the polyurethane ones right now that makes it hard to pass up. Are there any specific ways to keep the polyurethane airdams from slouching or deforming over time? What have some of you guys done to keep it from losing its form? Any examples would be nice. 

Also, have any of you guys found it hard or difficult to prep and paint the polyurethane airdams? Thanks.

Half the guys don't paint them and just leave them in the black they come as.  If you do paint them, there are specific primers to use to help alleviate any issue with painting polyurethane.  I just got mine out of the body shop and they used Glazer plastic primer, 2 coats.

I haven't done anything specific to reduce sag as there isn't any issue currently and I don't drive fast enough in the car to worry about the aerodynamic sag yet.  However, some guys are just running heim jointed arms and tying the front lip of the air dam up to a hard point on the body somewhere to help out with that.

I've heard that the airdam actually bends at freeway speeds. That's why I'm looking for simply solutions; whether it is to make a splitter or some type of brace. 

Edited by yhlz

Mine was flexing very easily under almost no load. Middle of the airdam was starting to go downward.

Since, I've made a simple brace. I took a steel pipe with thin wall and 1/2" diameter. I've flattened both sides, I've twisted the end that goes to the airdam to make the pipe follow the airdam inside shape, other side is flat.

I've then drilled both sides, one to allow a M6 bolt to be attached in front of the radiator, one other hole at the other side to allow a rivet to be installed at airdam.

Not sure, if it is very clear.... I need to take some pictures.

Total cost was a pipe at 2€ at hardware store, a rivet and 1hr of my time.

[EDIT]: I've found a picture on my PC :)

Airdam is very solid now, nothing moves, it is straight again since there's some tension wit the bracket to hold the airdam. Rivet is just to avoid the bracket to slide sideways.

post-3327-0-70340700-1396130922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lazeum

Mine sagged just from its own weight. I will try to send you a pic of my bracing next week. It was really simple, took a couple hours and I work slowly compared to other guys. Mine is unpainted. When I load my car on the trailer to go race, it scrubs a little. That's why I got the urethane-it flexes and doesn't break. But I still consider an airdam a consumable item, so I didn't bother to paint it. It would get trashed anyway. I had a painted airdam before and I was forever smacking it on something, so it looked crappier that my unpainted one does now. I would like to follow this splitter trend that is popular now, but I think I would just destroy a splitter pretty fast.

Similar concept I originally made for my car.  The foremost "T" that holds the valence in position is rubber coated to protect the valence.  The bolted end is slotted so you can adjust it fore and aft.  Actually I no longer need this as my front valence will attach to the splitter.  I would be willing to part with this brace if it could work for you.

post-4776-0-03376100-1396148432_thumb.jpg

Mine sagged just from its own weight. I will try to send you a pic of my bracing next week. It was really simple, took a couple hours and I work slowly compared to other guys. Mine is unpainted. When I load my car on the trailer to go race, it scrubs a little. That's why I got the urethane-it flexes and doesn't break. But I still consider an airdam a consumable item, so I didn't bother to paint it. It would get trashed anyway. I had a painted airdam before and I was forever smacking it on something, so it looked crappier that my unpainted one does now. I would like to follow this splitter trend that is popular now, but I think I would just destroy a splitter pretty fast.

That's a very good point that brought up about destroying the splitter. I guess it would just depend on one's usage of their Z. I'm highly considering a splitter since it seems like it would give the ultimate support; however, some of the simpler solutions (like Lazeum and Litman's pipe solution) may just be enough since my Z will just be a non-track weekend car. 

Edited by yhlz

Yeah. I didn't support at the bottom so it could flex over a cone, speed bump or trailer ramp. Mine is supported at the top. Hope to get close to 150mph this fall, perhaps I will have some pictures to see how the air resistance effects it. I hope I don't drive over it! Those pictures will dictate the urgency for some sort of splitter or lower support.