HybridZ

L28et ecu upgrade?

victorjr24

To run MS or VEMS with your '81 l28et, you'll need:

Coolant temp sensor ($15)

Air temp sensor ($25)

36-1 wheel and hall effect sensor or VR sensor ($no idea)

Just off the top of my head, I think that's the sum of sensors you'll need.

Ask DIYAutoTune on hbz about it, I'm sure they'd be willing to funnel you some info.

I purchased my msns-e setup from them back in the day, and I also purchased my wiring harness from them at that point.

thanks for all the info, i already have a throttle body spacer from Arizona Z and now looking in some local junk yards for the 240 TB. Haltech so far from all the research is looking really good, just a little more expensive depending on if i get the 500 series or the 1000 series. not too many write ups on the haltech compared to MS.

Thanks for the help guys, do y'all have any places that has good wire harnesses to run on my car? I found that MS had some for sell that didn't look to bad. Or I might just find a website and terminate my own connectors and have all the right sheilding

If money were an object, I'd go MS, or what I actually used Delco (GM) ECM.

I've been following MS since the beginning and only since the release of MS3 has it piqued my interest enough to consider using it, because of many of the now included inputs and expand-ability it provides over MS2. It's just a tad more money than I want to spend on an MS that doesn't include any sort of on board diagnostics. There's also a couple other things that I haven't fully been able to verify that keep me from it.

The Delco ECM, is a steeper learning curve, because of how the options are laid out. It's not a "one size fits all" type deal, and proper selection of ECM service number and code has to be made. The upside is they can be installed extremely cheaply, because you can buy them from the wrecking yard, they are extremely reliable, they have On Board Diagnostics (OBD), and can be tuned very inexpensively. Or for a slightly larger investment an EPROM emulator can be used and tuned in real time.

If money were less of an object, I'd look at Haltech. They seem to have very reliable products and are usually up to date with new features. They also have many options that can be added or removed as needed.

I would absolutely stay away from F.A.S.T. Everyone I know that has used one (local to me and many online) has had less than optimal results with them, especially the "self tuning" versions.

I don't have enough experience with other systems to comment on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Red, liked your thoughts. My son and I ripped out all the wiring once we discovered some gnawing marks and funky splices from others over the years. Do you know of any links or blogs of someone who has completely required their 240? We've planned on a stainless dash, and an entirely custom interior. My son wants toggle switches for everything and says that if he can figure out how to do it: some sort of hologram display on his windshield.

He's fifteen, and like me, ignores anyone who expresses doubt and difficulties

I will most likely have to figure out how to do the rewire if I want the project out of my shop -- so besides the Haltech ECU, a more modern fuse box? Suggestion or link referral appreciated.

post-44185-0-97831300-1399336845_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-48793700-1399336859_thumb.jpg

Toggle Switches for everything, then why use a fuse box?

Vector Aeromotive showed aircraft ceramic resettable circuit breakers do just fine in automotive applications. It's what I used retiring a 280Z for LeMons. If you get non-FAA certified components the price drops considerably.

Lay out your plywood boards, stick down your loom pins and components...start building a harness.

Been there, done that.

25 year old electronics to start with hardly qualifies as "new"! The Nistune interface I've seen is considerably more complex than real configurable aftermarket systems.

For the effort, why Bodge something into doing what it wasn't designed to do?

The Z32 ECU & Nisstune is marginally comparable to a Megasquirt...but you are still looking at electronics that are almost 20 years old now, and a compromise in what you can do or control.

Tony, did you ever create a blog with pictures on one of your rewiring projects? Anything to show us how it's done; inspire us? I've only done a Painless Wiring set up in a '65 Chevy truck about fifteen years ago and from what I recall there were three times as many wires left unconnected as connected and the whole project seemed to become a Pain - PITA - due to my trying to incorporate it.

Any blogs anyone has found on abandoning factory wiring and running a complete custom set up; dash, gauges etc?

post-44185-0-41272900-1399732735_thumb.jpg

post-44185-0-98117400-1399732760_thumb.jpg

Why not Z31 ECU and Nistune?

I believe there are several 500+hp cars running this setup.  The z32 has been over 850whp for over a decade.  Great inexpensive easy to install option.  Factory tuned maps to start with, all sensors are compatible and easily upgradeable.  Gotta have a good harnes just like any ecu.

Its not a matter how much horsepower. Its how efficient the ecu runs and works. Which is why I would say go MS. Plus there's a lot of expand ability on the MS. You can tune Nistune although it requires modifications. 

Edited by TonyB

I am going to completely make my own wiring harness for the l28et, and get the one from DIYautotune.com . I have never made a harness before, but i have a lot of experience in crimping different types of connectors, soldering, and stuff. I basically wanted to see what kind of advice everyone has out their or know of any great writ ups for this type of job. All i can find are people using their old harnesses for their ECU's. Also i will be going with Haltech for a standalone ECU.

The Nistune argument is a little silly at this point.  SHOCKING, but I'm going with Tony D on this one.  Same reason I spent $800 on a brand new Hx50 for my 2jz rather than picking up the stock twin turbo setup (~$150?) that all the 2jz guys replace.  I'm not going to put a ton of work into what amounts to (at best) 20 year old technology.

Just go MS or VEMS.

I have a .dwg and a .pdf of my wiring harness as it is designed right now, but it's 1. for VEMS and 2. about 70% complete.  email me at denson.alec@gmail.com if you want it.