HybridZ

Front inner fenders.

richie2619

To anyone who's flared their fenders.

On the front fenders,

have you bonded the inner fender to the flare?

Have you through-drilled the plastic and used the screws from the flares hold them in place?

Or have you just done away with them?

I'm very close to making a decision to cut my fenders or go with a wheel/tire combo that will fit in the stock configuration.

Edited by richie2619

There is a good post by 240hoke, called something like "Installing them there ZG flares" which goes through the whole procedure with mistakes to learn from. In the front you just cut the old fender off. In the rear is where it gets tricky, and most people don't cut enough and install their flares too low.

The fronts don't have an inner flare, and are really easy to cut.

The rears do, so that's what I'm assuming you're talking about.

Here are some pictures of my install. For reference.

I, like most, used rivnuts.

IMG_20140227_104526835_zpskknzsmzf.jpg

Took a couple cuts

IMG_20140302_200252085_zpswoiyz0aa.jpg

IMG_20140302_202510484_zps4rjfqbnk.jpg

IMG_20140302_202930834_zpsczomg703.jpg

IMG_20140302_203732746_zpsksjpsxhi.jpg

cut the tabs

IMG_20140302_211316612_zpsikcvktrf.jpg

Weld it back together. Cover with paint.

IMG_20140303_184404791_zpscr44z8b4.jpg

Every case I've seen of flares being installed, the car would be too low to run inner fenders anyway as any compression in the suspension would rub the tire against them. I installed lowering springs on a 240SX once with the clip inner fenders and any driveway or bump in the road would rub the tire on the inner fender. I eventually rubbed holes in them.

If you're installing flares at stock ride height you wouldn't even need to cut them really, but I've never compressed the stock suspension of a Z with a wide wheel and tire combo to know if it would hit the fender or not.. But I suppose in this case you could just weld in little tabs and screw the inner fender to the tabs inside the cut fender lip.

That being said, my car had the inner fenders you are talking about. I removed them and snagged the 3 piece inner-inner fenders(?) from a parts car as mine never came with them when I bought it. Not the best but better than no inner fender at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't look closely, but you may be right JMortensen. And yes, whatever works for the application is good, but...I have had a couple of builders not cut enough and then have to expend a LOT of effort digging back down to the point where they could do it over, after blowing out tires from getting into the old sheet metal.

Exactly John. If you haven't sectioned the struts and you're not running camber plates and have the stock insulators, maybe that works. For a race car, probably not. To know for sure pull the spring, put the wheel and tire on, and jack the suspension to the bumpstop. Running only a 23.5" tall tire with sectioned struts and camber plates I had to cut mine as high up as possible, so that the wheel arch is essentially flat, almost no curve down on the outside.