HybridZ

So I've had my eyes on a ls1 engine and a bunch of parts I couldn't identify at my cousins shop. I've just about got my dad sold on the idea of swapping a Chevy V8 into my 260Z and he actually seems really interested. (probably because it's GM) AAnyway I was wondering about your rear end setups on your V8 swapped Z's I know the common option is a R200 LSD or welding a R180 but I'm still kinda anxious about putting close to 350 hp to the wheels on a 40 year old car. Also I need help IDing the engine its self. It's an aluminum block LS1 so I know it's a car engine but I'm unsure about the displacement. I remember somebody at a family reunion saying something about a 5.3l at their shop but I thought the 5.3's were truck engines? My dad swears my cousin got the engine out of a Corvette a few years back but I'm not sure. Thank you guys!

PS; I know many people will get the exhaust manifolds off of a Vortec truck to modify into a turbo manifold and I was wondering what the most common truck you can get the manifolds off of is?

post-42809-0-51297100-1397011193_thumb.jpg

Edited by grayson260z

I've got a set of 5.3 exhaust manifolds that came with my longblock from a 2006 GMC 1500. They'll have to ship all the way across the country, which is a bummer. I figure that will probably run about $20, so if you give me $40 I'll ship them out tomorrow.

Corvette accessory drive. Look at the had casting number 799 243 is ls6 241 and i think 853 is ls1. On the front or back of each cylinder bank and behind the flywheel I believe is the engine size. Pretty sure its and ls1 from the pic. Also look at the valve covers perimeter bolts is a 97-98 engine center bolt valve covers are 99 and up.

Look for any numbers cast on the block or heads and post them. The answer to your questions is in the numbers. Don't worry about your rearend until you have the motor and tranny in and running-folks always get ahead of themselves on this subject. Shoot a photo of the front of the engine so we can see the alternator and crank pulleys and the throttle body.

Those are C5 exhaust manifolds. Its an LS1, 99-04. Can't tell if theres an EGR port on the top of the intake or not. If so, its an LS1 intake, meaning that its Pre-2001. I'd guess 853 or 241 heads.

Either way, it will be a great motor for a Z! 

The swap can be done for a reasonable price, but don't get carried away with the "while I'm in there" stuff...... ask me how I know.

What Sunny said don't get carried away with " well while I have it out" stuff.... you will end up like me I am +20k into my project and it is not even in the car....

Keep it simple and go from there....... I had a 320whp turbo on a L series.  I now have 600+whp sitting on the floor of the shop...... I don't know what I am going to do with myself when this thing gets on the road.........

Dude I wish I had the money to do a turbo LS build!! But I guess there would be no point unless traction was your enemy. If I get the motor I guess I'll just drive it for a while and then maybe do cams and stuff to try to get around 400 hp,  which from what I hear is super easy with an LS

My '98 LS1 out of a Camaro with no internal modifications put 315 HP to the rear wheels through a T56 and an R200. GM rated the engine at 305 HP at the flywheel. They lied. :-)

You need to get with your dad and plan the build. Not a good idea to just throw a V8 in the car. You need to evaluate the condition of your suspension and brakes and decide ahead of time what you want to do there. If the car has it's original springs then it's time to replace them with new ones and probably new shocks too. You can do that on the cheap with stock components but, if you put a coil-over kit in you can fit wider tires with the right wheels - which means then you'll need to get new wheels and tires. After that you may decide you need to improve your brakes and when you do that you'll see kits that have five lug options vs 4 lug. Then you'll go, crap - I should have done this first so my new wheels would be five lug.

See how it goes?

At some point you'll also have to make a decision on gauges. Do you spring for all new gauges or do the build to use the stock gauges? New gauges are more compatible with the LS1 electronics but will add more expense, time, and planning to your project. I've had my car 22 years and so far have invested nearly $45K in it - and the list goes on.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I'd like to know how the R200 is holding up with the LS engine.

I have an R200 (3:54) in my Z and I'm thinking of going the LS route. I won't be racing the car but I worry about the driveline.

Thanks, Frank.