HybridZ

cgsheen

I'll be sure to mention your comment to Greg and Lucas.  Seems like this has been "back-burner'd"...  I know they both plan on using a camber plate with integrated strut tower brace mount on their project cars but neither one of them have been working on that recently. 

(In AZ, we do things kind of bass-ackwards:  Summer is the time we get nothing done in the garage (too darn hot).  We save all our projects for Fall, Winter, Spring...) 

Otherwise there has only been modest interest (at best) expressed from the community for these.  You'll probably be waiting for at least one of them to get serious about installing the suspension on one of their project Z's before they turn out that camber plate. 

I do believe however that the integrated strut tower brace plate will be a direct replacement for the existing "vanity" plate.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last post got deleted in the latest site outage so I'll post this up again:

We've had a local machinist make us weld-on adapters that are 280Z specific.  They're the correct size for the 280z / "Late" 260Z strut tubes.  (The Stance-USA adapters are 2" and we have been boring them out for the 280Z)  Plus, they're longer for the rear so they can be welded directly to the hub.

We may be having them make 2.0 inch (240Z / "early" 260Z) adapters as well - Stance-USA can't seem to keep them in stock...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have a lot going on right now. Trying to finish my engineering capstone this semester, which is going to eat up most of my time for the next month. There is a bit more work to do before I am ready to make drawings and go into fab/production for the strut braces. I probably won't get any real work done on these S30 parts until after school finishes up.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give a "shout-out" to Vintage Spirit Garage.  They did an awesome install for a common customer of ours.  Here's a couple of pics of the Stance-USA coils and our Sakura Garage Camber Plates being done up by the great guys at Vintage Spirit.

post-5024-0-99642000-1418841546_thumb.jpg

post-5024-0-83166400-1418841571_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

post-5024-0-67019000-1427912237_thumb.jpg

post-5024-0-10347300-1427912260_thumb.jpg

Patrick and his nice little Late 260Z completed a 2-day NASA event a few weeks ago here in Phoenix, completing HPDE1 and passing off into HPDE2.  That got him pretty stoked to drive his car!  I think he's loving that camber adjustment and his Stance-USA coils.

Here are a couple of pics of him and his Z last weekend at the P1-Mussleman Track down in Tucson, AZ.  He went down to join the Datsun Southwest crowd at the track - looks like everyone had a great time.

Edited by cgsheen

• 1 month later...

Greg had a nice phone conversation last Saturday with Jim W. up NorCal way.  Some of you may know his little black S30 autocross car with the gold stripes.

He has used a Ground Control setup for quite a while and just switched to a set of these Stance-USA SS Coilovers we sent him.  He's apparently a pretty good autocrosser, and I guess he likes his new suspension setup.  He was telling Greg about setting some new records and how he's taken a second-and-a-half off his lap time!  A second and a half!

Well, congrats Jim!  Glad you're enjoying the new suspension setup and we'll look for your new U-Tube video! 

Drive the heck out of that thing!

Greg had a nice phone conversation last Saturday with Jim W. up NorCal way.  Some of you may know his little black S30 autocross car with the gold stripes.

He has used a Ground Control setup for quite a while and just switched to a set of these Stance-USA SS Coilovers we sent him.  He's apparently a pretty good autocrosser, and I guess he likes his new suspension setup.  He was telling Greg about setting some new records and how he's taken a second-and-a-half off his lap time!  A second and a half!

Good to hear.  Would be great if you could collect some data re: setup and impressions from a racer.  Springs and rates, alignment settings, supporting mods, damper settings, etc. 

• 2 months later...

About time for another BUMP!

We don't ship many of these out of the country.  We've shipped a few sets to our Canadian brothers, but we just sent a set to a super nice guy with a really nice Z in Saudi Arabia!  If you're anywhere near Saihat, look for Mohammed's 240Z!

He has them in hand and I can't wait to see pics of his car once he gets these installed...

• 2 months later...

It's finally starting to cool off a bit here in Arizona.  It won't be long until we can start working on our cars again.  And, for the rest of the country, some nice Stance-USA Super Sport coilovers with four pretty Sakura Garage Camber Plates might make a nice Fall project! I know your Z Car will appreciate it...  

Order some up on our website: 

http://sakuragarage.com/products/datsun-suspension/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just edited my first post.  I wanted to emphasize a few points I missed or didn't explain well:

Our camber plates were designed for maximum adjustability within the S30 strut tower.  Both inboard and outboard. The limiting factor here was: "any further and the spring or perch will rub the side of the strut tower".  

You won't find a camber plate for the stock S30 strut tower that has more adjustment - weld-on or bolt-on.

We've done our best to build a kit with quality parts and full adjustability to give S30 owners the best possible suspension performance for the money.  One "side effect" is adjustable ride-height from stock to very low - undrivable low.

We designed our kit with suspension performance in mind, not "slamming" your S30.  But, if that's your bag...  

(sorry - not to be mean - but, I have to chuckle every time I see "extreme low kits"...  JavelinZ figures he has enough adjustment room left to get his 280Z framerail within 1 1/2" of the ground.  I would never recommend that!)

Cgsheen,

I recently purchased a 72 240Z shell, and I am looking for suspension solutions. My car is going to be mostly for street use, but I want to have the option for light track use on weekends. I am currently thinking about putting an LS motor in it, though I am not sure 100% sure on that because the car that I got us very nice, and I don't know if I want to cut it up. I am thinking about trying to find another bolt in, high performance engine choice. Getting back on track though, my suspension is a blank slate and I want to make sure that I do this right and only spend the money once.

Below is my general outline that I found from another post, it offers ALOT of adjustability that I don't think that I really would utilize. I think the better, more cost effective option would be to take away some of the adjustability this stage allows but keeping the swaybars, strut tower braces, and roll bar. I think the Sakura coil over kit could be a good fit for my car. Thoughts? How involved is the installation? Will I be able to do it in a garage with a couple of friends with varied skill levels?

STAGE 4
1. New outer tie rod ends
2. New ball joints
3. Adjustable control arms (Modern Motorsports, AZC, Z Select)
4. Repack/tighten front wheel bearings
5. Replace rear wheel bearings if needed
6. Aftermarket front and rear swaybars
7. Coilover spring conversion to 2.5" springs. Street springs generally under ~250 in/lbs.
8. Aftermarket shocks (Tokico HP, Tokico Illumina, Koni Red), might be thinking about sectioning strut housings and getting appropriate shorter shocks to fit at this stage
9. Bumpsteer spacers
10. Biscuit style bolt in camber/caster plates (EMI, DP racing)
11. Adjustable TC rods (TTT, AZC, Z Select)
12. Strut tower bars front and back, preferrably triangulated to the firewall in front
13. Roll bar

• 3 weeks later...

How involved is the installation? Will I be able to do it in a garage with a couple of friends with varied skill levels?

Can you take the front suspension apart (struts with hubs out of the car) and lower the rear suspension down and out of the wheel well? (disconnect from the strut tower and drop it down - no need to remove the spindle pin, LCA, or hub)

Can you remove the tophats, springs, and strut cartridges?

Do you have the tools to cut the strut tubes off near the hubs?  (Sawzall (reciprocating saw), hacksaw, grinder)

Can you clean the hubs for welding prep?

Do you have access to a welding machine (or welder) and ability to weld the threaded adapters to the hubs?

Our Camber Plates are easily installed with a drill, cut-off wheel, and sawzall or hacksaw blade.

We have instructions and installation tips on our website when you purchase our kit.

Edited by cgsheen