HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

Well thats unfortunate. Fortunately I don't think anything to significant had been posted. Will hopefully start cutting out some stuff on monday to try and get this rolling. Aluminum showed up to make mustache bar mounts out of, so hopefully I can get those made ASAP and re-mockup everything to ensure 100% its good.

-Will

Well, my last post was my hope that some way could be found to use the Cobra brake kit I have since it has a parking brake. Calipers are flipped side to side so the bleed is upside down but otherwise it's all OEM stuff and apparently uses the Datsun cables. Wilwood is nice and all but parking brakes are important. Their spot calipers, the mechanical ones, aren't something I'd trust after having tried to use them. I can more easily accept not using my stub axles whgich are the 36spline cro-mo stuff. All of this is in a box and selling the stubs isn't that big a deal but the brakes... - I want a parking brake <shrug>

Will, Sent you a PM last night... I want to talk with you offline about what I need.  I'm going to be replacing all of my brake componentry with more substantial calipers/rotors, so I won't need any of the associates brake parts.  We're going to go with a true race setup from Brembo or AP.   

Also, If this has been covered already, my apologies but why not use hubs from the Ford platform?  I really want to stick with something more current for parts sourcing.  My car is strickly a roadrace racecar and is powered by a 575BHP monster.  The car is reasonably light weight.  The personal goal for me is to get down to OEM parts that can be had readily.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Mike, we used OEM type hubs sourced from a Dodge.  My concern was when I break something that I can source it or replace it with something better.  I will be close to 700whp when all is said and done.  I went with the 8.8 due to gearing options, locker options and the fact that they are in cars 1000+ lbs with equivilant whp than mine and can take the abuse.....

I understand and agree with the decision to go 8.8.  I'm just wondering why not go with the mustang hub is all...Based on Matt Isbell's usage and abuse, I'm expecting a lot of the same.  As long as the Dodge hub is durable, the right bolt pattern (My CCWs are 5X4.5) and easy to source...

BTW I already HAVE the rear WILWOOD disc brake rotor hats/rotors...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

This setup uses Dodge intrepid hubs from the early 2000s, not outdated by any means. The reason for that is the F150 outer CV's and the Dodge Intrepid hub are both 33 spline and mate together. I put my kit together trying to use the most OEM parts I could. These hubs are regularly used by sand rail guys doing a setup similar to this. They are plentiful, cheap, stocked at Autozone, and beefy. Plus a mustang hub would make too much sense, its better when an axle swap meant for +500hp uses a hub from a beater sedan like the intrepid lol. Shooting you an email now.

-Will

A Mustang hub might allow for OEM Mustang brakes or perhaps allow you to skip the turning down of the rotor hat maybe? I would assume since Mustangs come with an 8.8 that a Mustang hub would handle a Mustang axle. Length might be an issue and maybe you would end up with a custom axle, and I understand your avoiding that, but at least it wouldn't be an oddball request for DSS or another shop to build a beefy "Mustang" axle at a custom length. Still trying some to piece this together in my head - appreciate you sharing details and explaining your decisions!

• 2 weeks later...

My car is taking longer than expected.  I will have it in 4 weeks from what I was just told.  I am stupid busy at work and have been traveling a lot so I have not been able to put any pressure on the guys to get it wrapped up.  I will keep you guys in the loop as soon as I get it on the ground and tuned up. 

Finally got the mustache bar mounts made. Planning on trying to mock everything up tonight or tomorrow, to ensure everything is good. Then I can cut out pretty much everything. Hopefully will be cutting out the uprights this week as well and start getting them welded up since I know they are good to go. See attached pictures. These were the last piece I needed to re-mockup everything after some very minor changes to improve constructability. We are getting closer

post-27433-0-56086900-1412206725_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-61208100-1412206732_thumb.jpg

-Will

Can't wait to see the completed product..... One question though, is there any down fall from using the explorer irs compared to the cobra irs? The cobra irs housing has one more ear/ "mount" on the front half of the housing. Which would make it more rigid to hold up launching with big power and sticky tires.

Thanks Darek