HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

As far as the explorer housing goes:

- It is easier to find/cheaper

- It already comes with the stronger/better cover

- I believe the housing is actually stronger than the cobra one

- The mustache bar handles the forces that try to roll the diff over, the front diff mount only keeps it from pitching up or down. I think having two mounts in the front could be a bad thing especially if the rear diff mount became loose or something, the front mounts would try to take loads they were never designed for

Those are just some thoughts, none of them really matter other than the easier to find/cheaper. Strength is not an issue with either differential.

On another note, I'll just leave this here:

post-27433-0-01028600-1412303696_thumb.jpg

Production has officially began! This is 7 of 10 "backing plates", will be getting the other 3 cut tomorrow and cutting all the 3/8s plate for the broke brackets to finish up the uprights. Will be mocking everything up this weekend so I can cut the front differential mounts, mustache bars, and everything else on Monday.

I plan on getting everything powder coated black unless anyone objects. Will keep y'all posted as things progress, hopefully will start having uprights welded up monday as well.

P.S.

Sean, when are you going to pay me enough to quit my day job so I can just build cars/cool shit all week for you?

-Will

Edited by wfritts911

Guys what adapter part number is needed for the driveshaft to diff???  I'm trying to source that now so I can do a plug-n-play on this...

Mike

I believe you need:

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p524_dana_spicer_2_2_1379_large_bolt_pattern_1310_series_flange_y.html

This is the link for all of them, I am about 95% sure you need the LARGE bolt pattern yoke, but I will confirm when I get home today.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c161_flange_yokes.html

You can get 1310,1330, or 1350 yokes depending on what size ujoints you want to use.

Alright, got killed with school this past week so I just now got the mustache bar and front diff mount mocked up again. Everything looks like it fits good, so I will start cutting out mustache bars and front diff mounts and such on Monday depending on what our Waterjet schedule looks like. With any luck I can recruit some welders for the uprights on Monday as well.

All this leaves is the stub axle flange adapters which I will hopefully get on the CNC this week as well. Also have to cut the strut tubes and thread the end of them. Getting pretty close to having this stuff ready though.

Those of you seriously interested will need to get some explorer axle stubs to send to me so I can weld the flanges on. You can pick them up for $100 bucks from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Driver-and-Passenger-CV-Drive-Train-Axle-Joint-Shafts-Made-in-the-USA-/170985601064?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cf893828&vxp=mtr

You can drop ship them to me to save from shipping twice.

I will be making 5 sets initially, and I know Mikelly will be getting one of them, those of you seriously interested should send me a PM. I won't be taking any money until parts are ready to ship, but I'd like to know who all wants a set. If I can get 5 buyers before I get everything ready, I will give those 5 a discounted price from the one listed previously in this thread.

-Will

Alright guys,

It appears that the first 5 sets have been claimed unless some people fall through. As previously stated I will give the first 5 buyers a discount rate as long as they stay "in" when I get the kits ready to ship. Judging by the interest now that it is finally going, I will probably try to make 10 sets after I finish these first 5, depends on what my budget looks like. I would like to keep a list going of who is seriously interested for the next batch of sets though, so don't hesitate to send me a PM and get your name on the list.

-Will

I'll just leave this here...

post-27433-0-07329100-1413219338_thumb.jpg

There is 5 sets of front diff mounts, rear LCA dropdown, and some upright pieces. There are also some top secret BMW E30 LS1 motor mounts and trans mounts hidden in there(Hint hint for anyone interesed in doing an E30 swap hehe).

-Will

Edited by wfritts911

I recruited a guy I go to school with to CAM and machine the axle flange adapters so hopefully we can get all of those cut this week. I was worried I wouldn't have time to get it done, and he needed the money, so I'll let him burn my end mills up for me hehe. I cut Mikellys axle stubs up yesterday so when I get everyones in and get the flanges machined I'm going to try and knock them all out at the same time.

Pretty much everything is cutout aside from the mustache bars and a couple of uprights. Hopefully going to start get uprights welded up this week along with the diff mounts. Trying to get this thing going as soon as possible.

The only other thing I will need the first 5 to send me is the wilwood rotor hats, but those can wait a bit since all I do is turn the inside out it doesn't take very long to do. But y'all are more than welcome to start sending me those as well. The part number is detailed previously in this thread.

Thanks for all the support with this project guys and for sticking with me through the long drawn out process. The light at the end of the tunnel is pretty bright now.

-Will

I've got yours Mike, thanks for cleaning them out for me!

Also, is anyone planning on running the double adjustable Koni? To where you would need a hole in the bottom of the strut to adjust it?

-Will

YES!!!!  I'm currently running the 8610 but plan to move to the double adjustables.

Also how soon do you need to rotor hats?  They are still on my car along with the assembled suspension/rolling stock.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly