HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

Payment sent! 

For anyone else staying 4 lug, I can confirm that the SKF hubs are drilled on a single pattern. So we should be able to get those redrilled. I got these from Amazon. They're priced similarly to Timken.

SKF_BR930190K_1.JPG?dl=1SKF_BR930190K_2.JPG?dl=1

Edited by pete280z

Anyone got suggestions on breaking the Ford CV axle apart?  

I will round my pictures up and post up a more detailed How To in the next couple days, but the short version.

1. Remove Boots, Inner CV slides right out of the stub, nothing holds it in. Snap ring removes the actually rollers from the shaft. Remove both boots being careful not to damage the outer boot as it will be reused.
  2. Now you have the outer CV and the shaft. Use a cutoff wheel or stick it in a chop saw and cut the axle shaft as close to the CV as you can, being careful not to let the blade walk into the actual CV
  3. This allows you to spin the CV "star" around enough until the balls fall out. Remove the balls and CV "star" from the housing. Use a vice or piece of pipe with an ID larger than the shaft to hold the CV "star". There is a spring loaded snap ring on the back side of the "star" keeping the shaft in. A second set of hands makes this easy, it sucks by yourself. Use 2 flat head screw drivers to push the snap ring into the shaft. Then tap the shaft with a hammer until the snap rings compress inside the splines enough to allow the shaft to go through the star.
  4. Clean the CV really good to remove all metal shavings and then reassemble in reverse order. You dont use a snap ring to hold the shaft in though, it just floats in the splines.

Well everything was supposed to be done at the powder coater Wednesday but I ended up working late trying to finish up some last minute projects before thanksgiving so I wasn't able to pick everything up Wednesday. And now of course they were closed yesterday and today so I will be picking everything up Monday and hopefully shipping out Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the delays guys, the holiday got in the way.

-Will

Does anyone know of a good source for the koni gland nuts 73.25.01.007.1 for the 280z? I'm having trouble finding them. That's all I need from the parts list

Call Koni-NA direct. That's how I got them. Unfortunately they are an oddball size that they might have to get sent over from Holland, but they fit the strut tube well. That was the cheapest and easiest place to get them. Hope the lead time on those doesn't put anyone in a bind as I think its 2 weeks if you airmail them. I should have let y'all know sooner to make sure you got them ordered in the beginning.

Shipping out boxes today finally, got killed with school last week. I PM'd a few of you because I never got shipping information so please reply to those PMs ASAP.

I will post some pictures after I ship Mikelly, Pete280z, and Torqen2k1 swaps. Still waiting on Turboflyer and Heavy88chevy's shipping information.

-Will

Well I know a couple people have got the parts in as of now, and the rest will probably get them tomorrow. Pete280Z has expressed some issues with my packaging that led to the paint getting scratched up pretty good on most of the parts. Maybe his was a fluke, maybe I just have sorry packaging skills, but I just want to let everyone else know to check everything over good and let me know if there are any issues that you see. I'll be more than happy to fix any issues you have with any parts. So if y'all can just post up on here if all your parts look fine or if they were damaged during shipping.

I will try to get some diagrams/instructions made in the next couple days, been a busy week.

-Will

I agree with everyone else - I'm very glad I got in on this.

My best guess is that one of the axles got loose in my box and bounced around in transit. Any issues are cosmetic, and easy to fix. 

Where have you guys found your Explorer 8.8s? My usual Pick-n-pull yard hasn't had any Explorers lately, and the prices on eBay seem a little steep (probably in no small part due to shipping).

Well I know a couple people have got the parts in as of now, and the rest will probably get them tomorrow. Pete280Z has expressed some issues with my packaging that led to the paint getting scratched up pretty good on most of the parts. Maybe his was a fluke, maybe I just have sorry packaging skills, but I just want to let everyone else know to check everything over good and let me know if there are any issues that you see. I'll be more than happy to fix any issues you have with any parts. So if y'all can just post up on here if all your parts look fine or if they were damaged during shipping.

I will try to get some diagrams/instructions made in the next couple days, been a busy week.

-Will

Mine has some chipping, mainly on the strut tubes, but otherwise everything else looks fine.  No worries.