HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

• 2 weeks later...

Having mounted up the differential and all the parts, minus the axles, I gotta say, I am AMAZED at how well all the parts fit in the space... The 8.8 is the natural swap for this setup... So stoked to be getting so much closer to the car making its trackday debute for 2015!!

Anybody have a ready source for the Axle Nuts on the Ford F150 axles??? I cant find them to save my life...

Mike, they will come with the F150 CV axles you buy, at least they did with mine. I ordered the cheapest F150 axles that Rockauto sells and they came with the nuts...where did you get yours from?

-Will

Heads up for anyone going with an adjustable control arm... The center section for the axle is to LONG and will need a shorter section.  I see the only option is a 15 5/8th which will probably put me where I need to be for adjustment, but it will be close.

http://www.mooreparts.com/11608-AC525202-930/

Anyone needing new 16 1/4 units, I'll be replacing mine when the new ones come in... I'll let them go for $50 off when they are pulled...

Edited by Mikelly

I verified this by installing them on the car with the control arms preset at my previous alignment last night... It was the last phase of the rear diff that I hadn't done because I still havent resolved the issue with the longer bolt not going thru properly for a proper fit with 16mm OEM sized bolt.  The heim joints will be forced to extend well beyond 50% just to get everything to bolt up.  I did a quick search of the interwebs and it appears mooreparts is THE cheapest, even with their expensive shipping... Bleh.. Oh well... 

Edited by Mikelly

I'm at work now so I can't get a full reply in, just wanted to let y'all know I see these replys and will have a better response either on lunch or after work. Something doesn't seem right unless aftermarket control arms are significantly shorter than stock arms(Which doesn't make sense to me).

-Will

So how does your control arm length center to center of the heims/bushings compare to a stock arm? Because myself and Sean(Texis300) have both successfully ran the setup with stock A-arms and the axles in the list(16.25" long). Are the aftermarket controls arms shorter than the stock arms? This doesn't make sense to me as that would add positive camber to cars. I'm not understanding how aftermarket controls arms effect the axle length? If they are adjusted the same length as stock then it shouldn't matter if they are aftermarket or stock. Mike, is the camber adjustment where the strut bolts to the upright tight? You could leave it loose and then adjust it to where the camber is reasonable while the control arm is near stock length.

Also, the 1/2" thick aluminum washer that goes between the hub and the OUTER CV joint can be moved to the outside of the hub, so the 1/2" washer will go between the axle nut and the hub. This will give you another 1/2" of length on the axles if needed.

Mike, can the upright not be pulled inwards to the control arm to bolt up properly? Are you running camber plates? Something doesn't seem right

Also, the spindle bolts I sent with the uprights are Grade 8 5/8" bolts, not 16MM. I believe the stock units are probably metric, but when I measured out my stock upright, it measured out to be damn near 5/8, so that's what size I used for that reason and the availability. 16MM = .629, which will not fit through my upright, unless you have drilled it. I sent 5/8"-11 x 10" long bolts with the kit, which is what myself and Sean(Texis300) are currently running.

Mike(Or whoever), if you can provide some more information on this issue that would be great, something doesn't seem right. I want to figure out what is going on and resolve the issue.

Feel free to call me at (501) 472-8960 if you are at the car and we can talk to try and figure out the issue, which will probably be faster than forum posts.

-Will

Will, I can try to pull together measurements this week and get them to you.  Here is my setup:

1. Arizona Zcar Cromoly control arms (They old style round metal design.)

2. Arizona Zcar Camber plates welded in.

3. Koni 8610s. 

I have the camber plate maxed now to POSITIVE CAMBER.  I will adjust the strut bolts so they are loose and move that spacer outboard.  I still think I'm going to need more adjustment. for my car and its purpose.  Also, Although I understand your logic in the 5/8th bolt scenario, my concern, most likely pulling 2Gs in corners for 30 minutes at a time, that .629 movement will be an issue, again, for my specific needs.  I'm going to swap out the heim joints for the proper ID eyelet 5/8th heim joints, but for me that is a reasonable option.  for anyone with high HP, ultra wide and sticky tires in a chassis that WILL pull high g-loads, this could be a problem if they are running the stock arms.  That attachment point is a tight tolerance from Nissan for a reason. It's also why they are countless threads discussing stuck spindle pins and how to extract them.  

I am probably at the extreme end of the "USE" scale, which is why I'm probably being more picky than some.  But we're talking about a car that will see 175mph and extremely high corner speeds.  This is not a "built to the potential of use" scenario.  The car will see these loads.  It's why I brought up the powder coating issues at the mount points for the brakes and wheel hubs as a very real issue to contend with.  

Mike 

Edited by Mikelly

I plan on seeing similar speeds on my car as well.  And the hp... I dyno'd 624 at the wheels on 8lbs of boost and plan to go more in the future.  I will see the loads in corners as I am planning on putting the car on the track in due time.  I am working out some bugs on my car now.  When I launch it is pulling to one side.  I have ordered camber plates front and rear to get rid of the Nissan rubber mounts at the top of the coilovers.  I have been speaking with Will about this issue. I have made sure that the ride height and shock settings are all the same.  I weighed the car last week, and found some weight issues.  So I will be addressing those as well.  Will has built a very good set up.  For me now it is working through the kinks.  My set up does not have any aftermarket lower control arms yet.  But that could change with the needs for adjustability.  I have been looking into the TTT pieces.  I will keep you informed.  I am picking up the car on Sat to take for a bit and play with it to see what is what.