HybridZ

Buying a 1983 turbo car to use for my 1971 240Z

Here is what I am driving and the set up.

12-70 production 1971 240Z.

L24 with dual weber carbs

I had the T5 tranny rebuilt with B&W Short shifter so it is in great shape

Arizona Z flywheel and Centerforce Dual friction clutch

Custom driveshaft with replaceable u-joints

R200 with 3:9 gears (has a whine in it)

Arizona Z mustache bar, drop downs, and solid rear mount

Original half shafts with new u joints.

The rest of the car is all 240Z and in great working condition.

I found a complete 1983 Turbo for sale that turns over and supposedly has receipts for a lower end rebuild but it turns over and doesn't start because in his words "the gas comes out like a fire hose and not a mist and I haven't had the time to put a fuel regulator on it"

I am thinking I can pick it all up for $1,000.

I don't have a separate garage to keep the donor car but I have another guy who will take the car minus whatever parts I want to keep.  My end goal with the 240Z is 300hp and 300+lb ft of torque. I plan to keep the 240Z for a long long time so I can take my time and money to do it right. 

What parts should I take from this car to upgrade the 240Z? My plan is to take the parts I want in one weekend, give the rest to the other guy and then take my time to have the engine gone through, upgrade, etc before installing in the 240Z.  I don't have any timetable since my Z is running fine and wanting to get the other stuff over time and upgrade as time and money permits.

Here is what I think I should take

- Complete Engine and all accessories

- Master Cylinder for the future Wilwood brake upgrade up front.

Anything else?

I know if I took the tranny and rear end I could sell them to cover a chunk of the donor car, anything else easily taken that people would want to buy?  Anything I should lookout for on the donor engine?  I was planning on taking it out, taking my time and having it all redone anyway so as long as the block and head are decent and it turns over now I am thinking I am okay.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by nsanow

NewZed,

That helps me see that I might be able to get it even cheaper which is good.  I have been searching for L28ET's in the Oregon area and there aren't many out there.  My question would be if I get the car what are the other components that I should consider taking off to upgrade my 240Z?  Do the half shafts and rear cailper breaks transfer?  Are there other parts I should consider keeping?

I will be rebuilding it and upgrading along the way but it seems that for 750-$1000 is a decent deal for an 83 Turbo that appears to have the bottom rebuilt already.